Thursday, May 14, 2009

Writing Group Worth 1000

Last night I went to my first ever writing group meeting. It was six other writers, some agented and published, some working on full length novels, some short stories. I was really excited to be there because they had all read the first two chapters of my novel by e-mail and agreed that I was a good writer and that they would like me to come to a meeting.

The meeting was in a coffee shop in a very nice part of Berkeley and that alone was enough to love it--I can't remember the last time I lounged in a coffee shop sipping a latte and talking about writing. (Oh, actually, I've never done that.) It was lovely.

And the other writers were lovely, too. The meeting, which went for two hours, was terribly exciting. They started off with a critique of the first two chapters of my novel. I nearly bit my fingers down to stumps as they began, but it was fine. On the whole, it would seem, I am not crap. And, they pointed out some plot elements that were confusing, which was very helpful since I can't see them myself.

Of course, this means that I'm quaking over what they'll think of the rest of the novel, especially the parts of the novel of which I'm subconsciously unsure.

Very exciting. I know the group will really take me to the next level. It's a necessary stop on the evolutionary ladder of writing a novel.

1 comment:

www.christinadudley.blogspot.com said...

Hi, Sierra! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm with you on having your stuff read aloud. At the SCBWI Conf, even when they did it anonymously, I thought I was going to vomit/explode/faint/cry/shoot someone, all in the thirty seconds it took to read my first page.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.