Monday, June 29, 2009

On the tip of my brain...

Last Friday I had a brain fart, and I'd sorry to say I've never recovered. What I mean is, I still can't think of the word that I wanted last Friday.

The scene: me, at a company picnic, describing a Liverpool-top clad coworker. We were getting a game of football (aka soccer) going. Liverpool-clad guy, or LCG, hogged the ball...maybe showing off a little, I don't know. It wasn't as if he was a Manchester United fan, in which case he definitely would have showed off, but you get the point. Anyway, I remarked, "LCG...um....hogged the ball."

I simply could not think of the word that I wanted, and I assure you that "hogged" wasn't it, although it works.

It's kept me up at night.

I lie there, going through my brain's thesaurus, which admittedly isn't very good. Dominated? That's good, but that's not the word I'm looking for. Manipulated? No. The word I want is floating out there, just out of grasp...teasing me. "I'm here," it calls. "You have to catch me first."

When I grew tired of trying to think of the word, I turned to thinking of the horror of what is happening to me that it's taken four days and counting for me to think of a WORD. Age. Sleep-deprivation. Who knows...but I do know that this is bad, as in spider-on-your-shoulder bad. Words are supposed to be my tools, and I'm supposed to be good at them. Orchestrated? No. Capitulated? Come on, now you're just being silly.

At about midnight last night I thought I should just get on the internet as I usually do to find the word, but that seemed to me to be part of the problem. I use the internet for most things. (I don't believe the naysayers who say that most of the information on it is fake. I don't doubt that there's some crazy stuff, but a little common sense helps superbly in discerning what is what.) The problem is that I'm now so reliant on using the internet that part of my brain has liquefied and I am no longer able to think of appropriate words when I need them.

It reminds me of one of my favorite Kids in the Hall sketches:

1 comment:

coffeelvnmom said...

I had the exact same thing happen to me three days ago. I thought and thought, googled (with odd, off-the-wall words that had nothing to do with the word I was trying to remember - therefore, just making me more annoyed as strange words would come up in the search engine), I even went to thesaurus.com - but nothing would help.

Finally I'd had enough so I sent my friend a text. "You know that thing...when you are going to exercise or walk...and you have a word...for like the layout of where you walk..." (She just *had* to know what I meant...it was so obvious.)

To which she responds: "Power Walking?"

By now I am completely frustrated. This here smiley was me
---> X-( But I tried again. "No...like when you do the same thing every time... you walk the same places every day...what is that called? My brain is mush."

The lovely answer: "Route?"

It was a wonderful moment. (Until I realized that "route" is NOT an easy word to forget. And then I wondered if I was getting enough sleep. 'Course I wasn't.)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.