Wednesday, July 8, 2009

List of Things to Be Grateful For

My novel’s main character makes up a lot of lists, as a sort of coping device. She has a List for anything that suits, but the first List she ever came up with was a List of Things to be Grateful For. I took this idea from conversations my cousin Erika and I had about how things could be worse than they currently were. (We both had a similar unpleasant situation.)

I have always found it helpful to have a List of Things to be Grateful For. At first I thought it was mainly useful for when I was feeling particularly horrid. But now I see its worth on a more regular basis. The reason: I’m pretty happy in life right now, after several years of being somewhat happy. I recognize that I’d better try to hold onto this time, because someday I might look back and think, “That summer of 2009—whoo that was a happy time, wish I could back there and just be.”

In no particular order:
  1. I am employed with health insurance.
  2. My husband is healthy.
  3. I can’t stand how cute my whippersnapper is.
  4. My whippersnapper is healthy and smart.
  5. I have a graduate degree, and I don’t have to go back to school ever again if I don’t want to.
  6. I get to write novels.
  7. I have all my arms and legs, and they work.
  8. I do not live in Darfur.
  9. I belong to a writing group.
  10. I do not have a conjoined twin growing out of my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.