Monday, October 19, 2009

Awesome Author Web sites

Last week or so I posted about what I think author web sites should have, and goodness knows there's lots of other posts around the tinterwebs on this too. But let's skip the discussion and go straight to one of my favorite points: great design. Below are several author web sites (and by "author" I mean "published"). In no particular order, here are some good ones that caught my eye as I traveled around the web--and I'll add to this series as I find them:

  • Miranda July: This one is just great as far as promotion for a book. It's funny, clever, and different--and serves as a great introduction to the author's creativity. Mind that you click down at the very right hand corner. www.noonebelongsheremorethanyou.com

  • Judy Blume. Just excellent and very appropriate for her and her books. www.judyblume.com

  • Linda Fairstein has a web site that's a bit heavy on the flash but pretty cool and dark and mysterious all the same. Very nice for a crime novelist. www.lindafairstein.com


  • Emily Giffin: I've never actually read anything by her, but her web site is so well done that it makes me want to. Score! www.emilygiffin.com

  • The Four Hour Work Week. Now this guy is all about marketing himself, but he does it well. The whole site is less about him, although you wouldn't think so upon first glance, and more about the actual book. It's like a slick infomercial. www.fourhourworkweek.com

  • Michael Hyatt isn't actually an author (actually, he might be), but he's a publishing CEO and this is a blog--one of the best designed out there. It is so slick and well-ticking that even if you're not into what he says, it's worth looking at what he does here. michaelhyatt.com

  • Gayle Foreman's web site is clear, too, what she writes, and does a good job of putting her books front and center. www.gayleforman.com


  • Maureen Johnson. Also well done, and fun, too with flash elements. I haven annoyed my husband by dinging all the dings. www.maureenjohnsonbooks.com

  • Jenn Lancaster has a great section of how she came to write her series of books. www.jennsylvania.com

  • Amy Sarigking's site, with its switching channels, is innovative, fun, and different. I was highly amused by clicking on the sections. But that being said, the fun design leaves a little bit to be desired in usability because the small font and scrolling is cumbersome. Still, this one is fantastic. www.amysarigking.com

2 comments:

Shannon Messenger said...

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog today and wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed reading some of your posts. And I agree, Maureen Johnson's website is very entertaining. Do you follow her on Twitter? She cracks me up?

Anyway, I hope you don't mind that I'm following your blog now...(that sounds so stalkerish, doesn't it?)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Hi Shannon! I'm delighted. Thanks!! I do follow Maureen on Twitter and everytime I read her tweet, I think "God I wish I was than on top of it!" She's very clever.

Welcome!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.