Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Note on Oatcakes

I must say I love oatcakes very much. I like any brand, but Nairn really does it for me (silly and obligatory FTC “amateur blogger” notice: I have not been paid to eat, nor enjoy, nor choke on, Nairn oatcakes). Oatcakes are dry, cardboard-like cracker-like things, but strangely tasty. They’re Scottish, which adds to my eating pleasure for some strange reason. Not always easy to find, but I found them at my local natural foods market last weekend and bought several boxes in a fit of glee. In particular I love the herb and pumpkin seed one, but then I am partial to anything with pumpkin in it at this time of year. I like plain, too.

However, I have discovered something vastly important about oatcakes. When you have just shoved one in your pie-hole and the phone rings, you cannot chew and swallow the oatcake in time to answer the phone before it goes to voicemail. The oatcake WILL NOT BE HURRIED.

So plan accordingly.

5 comments:

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

lol, I've never heard of oatcakes, but they sound intriguing.

Sierra Godfrey said...

They are! Intriguing and tasty cardboard! :)
You could probably use them as a paper towel and not go wrong.

Tina Lynn said...

Sounds like my kind of snack. I never actually want to pick up my phone anyway:)

Tina Lynn said...

I guess I should elaborate. If someone were like, "Tina, I have been calling and calling and I have not been able to reach you!" I could respond with, "I was eating oatcakes."

Sierra Godfrey said...

Exactly Tina, you've got it now. It is the most excellent excuse in the world. I personally hate the phone and strongly resent having to ever answer it so I think I've found my nirvana. A TASTY nirvana.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.