Thursday, November 12, 2009

Blog Names

One of the things I love about blogs is the unique names. Obviously, mine doesn't have one--by design. (Fine. Fine. I couldn't think of a cool enough one, but my own name does serve the purpose of saying who I am.)

Blogs don't have to have a cool name in order to be successful--indeed, it can sometimes detract from the marketing of your blog or web site if people are confused by it. The example that comes to mind is literary agent Kate Schafer Testerman, who runs KT Literary. She has a blog--a good one--called "Ask Daphne." It always confuses me slightly because I don't know who Daphne is or how Daphne relates to Kate, who clearly writes the blog. But all is well because it's certainly memorable.

I love blog names that are plays on words, too. Here's a list of some pretty cool blog names. Feel free to add in the comments if you know of a good one. (And PLEASE NOTE that by excluding any blogs, I'm NOT saying they're not cool.....this list is just of ones that stood out to me, completely independent of their content, by the way. Oh and they're mostly all publishing/writer blogs. Am biased.)

  • The Swivet by Colleen Lindsay. Do you know what a swivet means? Extreme distress or discomposure. What’s not to love!
  • Sadly, no! - not sure what this blog is about but I like the name.
  • The Other Side of the Story - This is nice because it’s a play on the word story. It’s a blog about writing by a published author who maintains another blog about her published work.
  • Bent on Books - Agent Jenny Bent’s blog is a nice play on her name.
  • Market my Words - another good play on words; this is a blog about marketing for writers
  • And finally, who can’t love Bookslut? Makes me cringe every time.
Here's some reading on how to create a catchy blog name.

8 comments:

Travener said...

And here I thought your blog name was catchy because it was "Sierra" as in "Sierra Nevada"...

Sierra Godfrey said...

That is the first time I have ever heard that one Travener!
(no, not really) :)

Gemma Noon said...

Hi Sierra,

thanks for the add! Nice to meet you!

My blog name - Somewhere SOuth of Heaven - comes from the title of my WIP, and the other - The Literary Project - is the, um, name of the project I'm running there, because it involves interviews with literary people. I'm really not that original.

Personally, Queryshark is my fave :-)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Nice one, thanks for stopping by Gemma, glad to have you! Always good to have UK readers. I quite like the idea of naming the blog after the novel, you've given me a great idea!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

I, too, sort of wish I had come up with a more creative name for my blog. Le sigh.

However, at the end of the day, musings of amber murphy has served me well. So far.

Still. I'm real jealous of Bookslut.

Sierra Godfrey said...

LOL Amber. I bet Bookwhore isn't taken!

Meghan Ward said...

I love Pimp My Novel and think BookSlut and Market My Words are all great names, too. I hate the name Editorial Ass, though!

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Those are great names. Bookslut, lol.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.