Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Trolls

I love this topic because the visual of trolls is funny. Of course I'm referring to Internet Trolls, aka Comment Trolls. These are the people who post soapboxy-style comments that are controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic. (from Wiki).

Of course, I never get trolls. This annoys me greatly.

Probably a good sign of blog success is the appearance of trolls. Of course they can be annoying, but of the tools available to you as a blogger is comment deletion. Yes, of course this is difficult when you get Nathan Bransford-style traffic, with comments numbering in the hundreds--daily--although he definitely manages to delete troll comments.

A few weeks ago, Kristin Nelson had a troll in her comments and then she turned on comment moderation. Then Jessica Faust at Bookends had several all posting under the Anonymous name. Kristin Nelson's troll didn't actually hide from anyone; his web site was in full view and he kind of shot himself in the foot when he wrote (this is cut and pasted), "I disagree that I need critiquing, since I'm not inclined to write the way other people would write. Unfortunately, I'm the type who has to reinvent the wheel to understand it."

Deary, deary me.

I'm still outraged that I don't have any comment trolls. Comment trolls stir up interest by riling emotions of normal, sane people. By and large, they suck, but still I kind of want one. For the bloggers out there, what are your thoughts on them? (And I am totally still laughing at the picture and the name. I love picturing that guy up there bent over his keyboard all ragey.)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the worst kind of drivel imaginable. People should be able to make comments and speak the truth freely. Kristen Nelson and anyone else that deletes comments is impeding on my freedom of speech. As long as I live in America, I should be able to say what I want, when I want, where I want.

Tina Lynn said...

Hey, Anon,

Shove it!

Sierra,

You really don't want one of those trolls, do you?

Sierra Godfrey said...

Yay yay yay! Yes I do! Tina, I feel in my heart of hearts that I would toy with the troll before jettisoning it. A real troll that is :)

Anonymous said...

Sierra, you are as cuddly as a cactus, as charming as an eel. You're a bad banana, with a greasy black peel. Your blog is an empty hole.
Your brain is full of spiders, you've got garlic in your soul. Everyone who reads it is vile with termites in your smiles. You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile. The blog is full of unwashed socks, your soul is full of gunk. The three words that best describe this blog are, and I quote: "Stink. Stank. Stunk."

Sierra Godfrey said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sierra Godfrey said...

Right I admit that was me as anon 8:52 and me removing posts too.
It's probably quite sad how much fun I'm having. Apologies to the Grinch song.

Travener said...

I had a couple of trolls -- are you out there, HMelvilleMD? -- who were completely humor- and irony-challenged and loved to lecture as if they had real experience in what they were lecturing about, instead of merely being nasty Cliff Clavens. I didn't consider it a mark of distinction for my blog that they dropped by. I considered it to be a pain in the ass.

That said, if you want, I can leave one obscenity-laced, holier-than-thou, know-it-all comment a day.

Sierra Godfrey said...

No thanks Travener, no need to be a nasty Cliff Claven! LOL.

Jm Diaz said...

I can troll you if you like.

Like, this is the most retarded thing I've seen. Go back to baking, woman.

there, see... like that?

Jm Diaz said...

You must know I do love your blog :)

Sierra Godfrey said...

It was touch and go for a wee while there JM! Nice trolling!

CKHB said...

I don't want a troll. The urge to argue with the crazy is irresistible... and not productive AT ALL.

Gemma Noon said...

Gah! Sierra where is the troll piccy from? I know I've seen it and it is driving my overly tired brain nuts trying to remember what it is from.

Please let me know or I'll post some anonymous rant about how much I hate your blog :-)

Ragnaar said...

Trolls not bad. Trolls good. Come under my bridge, me show you good time, feed you lefse and littleboygirl stew.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Carrie-- no, arguing is no good but surely we musn't argue with trolls?

Troll-- Ew.

Gemma-- I did a search on Google images for trolls. But it looks like the artwork of the boyo who did the Gnomes book back in the day....Wil Huygen. Check Amazon.

Tina Lynn said...

Sierra,
Aren't you glad you did this post? I know said troll that you are talking about from Kristen Nelson's blog. I addressed him directly once. I was just fooling about. He must have said something ultra-nasty to me, because the lovely Ms. Nelson deleted it. I remember the one that was on your blog, too, Trav. I remember laughing at all the posts that you had removed:)

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

I wish I had a troll. The closest I came was when I thought Tina Lynn was mad at me about my Sarah Palin post, and since I love TL so much, I didn't even care.

Someone come over to my blog and be mean to me!

Sierra Godfrey said...

You're on, Amber. Glad you see how fun it is to have a troll. I was a little worried about the Sarah Palin debacle too when I saw it!

Gemma Noon said...

HI Sierra, thanks for the prompt with the artist!

For anyone that was possibly interested, the film is called Gnomes. It must be 20 years since I last watched it :-S

Meghan Ward said...

I don't know much about trolls, but I have a LOT of spammers! I rarely had them with my other Wordpress blog. Not sure how to get rid of them.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.