Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Awards

How I Feel About Blog Awards (Prior to Listing Winners)
Blog awards are pretty nice, although some criticize them as being cliquish or some such malarkey. I think they are:

  • A nice way to spread love among your followers
  • A cool way to introduce readers to other bloggers
Lynnette had a good list of the usefulness of blog awards.

And I've been very fortunate to receive many in the writing blog community, none of which I have managed to put on my side bar (but I will! I will). Thank you to Jessica, Roni, Tina Lynn, and Jennifer. Your awards to me made me feel very happy.

My only possible complaint about blog awards are the graphics and the rules. Most blog awards insist that in order to win, you must post the award and then forward the award on and sometimes list a bunch of stuff about you. That sounds suspiciously like a chain e-mail letter to me, so here's my award rules:
  • Accept the award.
That's it! You can do this silently in your mind if you like, or post it, whatever works. Forward the award on to others if you like, which of course is how the award grows (also, e-mail viruses grow that way too, but we have agreed this is entirely different than chain e-mail). If you want to pass it on, announce it to your winners in comments of their blog posts.

I'd further adoed enough, so here are my inaugural winners of.....

The Blogo-rama-dingdong Award!

Presented to:

How I feel About Blog Awards Now (After Listing Winners)

I hate them.

Awarding these five bloggers meant leaving others off the list and that was very, very hard to do. Actually everyone I follow and interact with gets an award but ....argghg, I now see why this blog award business is so tedious. The bloggers listed above all did something sometime somehow for me that was nice. Not that others don't. Arrrgh. See?

18 comments:

Tina Lynn said...

Sierra,
I know how you feel. It's hard to hand those out without feeling a little like you disappointed someone. But it's all in fun, so we should all just relax and enjoy each other's company:)

CKHB said...

Yep. I loved my first couple of awards, but now I feel like an exclusionist jerk for picking each new round of winners. I think I'll just accept (as graciously as possible) from now on...

Lynnette Labelle said...

Thanks for the award, Sierra. I really appreciate it (and the link, too). Now, all you have to do is learn to spell my name right. LOL Two n's. You got it right the first time, but not the second. Silly girl. ;)

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Julie Dao said...

Sierra, thank you so much for the award! I truly appreciate it. I sent you an e-mail back about the critique group - Meredith is 100% all for it and so am I so you should be hearing from one of us soon! I'm so excited!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Hi guys....yes, just like an executioner...arrgh.

Lynnette, I think you'll find that there are two n's in both links la la la la la la....

Natalie said...

Yeah, I feel the same way. I haven't passed along any of the awards yet because I can't justify giving them to one person and not to another. But congratulations nonetheless!

Jm Diaz said...

Aw, shucks... but I agree. These awards are bitter-sweet.. Though I must be doing something right, so thank you! :)

There are blogs that I enjoy more than others, this much is true (yours being one of them of course). But still, its hard to select 5 or ten...

That said... Nada-nada.. i win again! Pfftt

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Congrats on your awards and I understand what you're saying. I love getting the pat on the back from fellow bloggers, but it can be daunting trying to pick winners to pass them on.

Lindsey Himmler said...

I may never get over this.

Mike Chen said...

I've now humbly accepted the award on my latest blog post. :)

Tabitha Bird said...

Congrats on the award. :)

Dawn Simon said...

Congratulations on your awards. You have a really nice blog.

I totally get what you're saying. The awards are super fun, but it's hard to pick only a few blogs. Followers/followees rock, and I would never want someone to feel less special.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks guys for the understanding...can never do it again as a result!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

Of the blogs you mentioned, I read a few regularly. However, I think the nice thing about the awards is that it leads us to discover new blogs. I can't wait to check out the ones I am not yet familiar with. I just have this feeling that if you love them, so will I.

Stephanie Thornton said...

I feel your pain when picking award winners. You handled it wonderfully and you're right- awards are a great way to introduce readers to other awesome blogs.

Meghan Ward said...

Hey Sierra, thank you for the award! Did you make up the Blogorama Dingdong Award, by the way? I am new to this blog award business.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Totally did make it up, Meghan, complete with a little Photoshopping job. I believe I have trademarked the Blogo-rama-dingdong(TM) name.

coffeelvnmom said...

I finally just saw this (I'm a bit behind on my blog reading).

I just wanted to say,

1) You're welcome (lol) and

2) I feel the same way about leaving people out...but the reason I love blog awards most is because it helps us all share new people and blogs with each other that we may not have come across if it weren't for the award!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.