Friday, December 11, 2009

Google Reader Roundup





Here's my Google Reader roundup for the week, which is a list of the best posts I read this week for the blogs I subscribe to in my Reader.

  • Editorrent on event sequences in scenes. This is such an important post. Look at the subtle way she recommends changing the scene if it doesn't end on a cliffhanger note.
  • AND THEN LOOK LOOK LOOKIT!!! Editorrent answered my question the very next day! This means I'm famous! I was already famous, I'll have you know, because Van Halen used to practice next door to my aunt's house in Pasadena (or two or three doors down, whatevs) before they made it big. I am not a Van Halen fan, but this clearly makes me famous. Anyway I'm delighted they answered my question because it follows on the Scene events and I needed to know!!
  • Last but not least, Meghan Ward's very clear post on self-publishing. Please note all the places where she clearly calls crap out for being a scam. And then read the adamant comment left by a self-publisher in her comments. Peeps, listen to me. When you believe passionately about something, and you leave a comment or other editorial piece about it, keep your argument neutral and choose your words carefully. You wouldn't want to come across as insulting to the opposition. No, I know you wouldn't. Because it doesn't, um, sell you any books. Good lesson on what NOT to do in marketing. Knowmsaying?

11 comments:

CKHB said...

I loved that Terminator post. GENIUS. And, I'm bummed about Jenny. Her agency was one of the first to request my partial! Sigh.

Travener said...

Hey, I went to school with Linda Ronstadt's cousin, Carlos. Does that make me famous?

Sierra Godfrey said...

Yes Trav it does!!

Carrie - I'm bummed too, one less good agent out there.

Julie Dao said...

The Terminator post was terrific. Thanks for sharing these!

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

That's awesome that your question was answered. :) And thanks, as always, for the mention.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

I love your round-up.

Roni's post on backstory WAS fab, and I really got a lot out on the deep p.o.v. post as well.

It was a good week to be a blogger, no?

Tara McClendon said...

Great round up! Thanks for sharing.

Meghan Ward said...

Thanks for the link, Sierra!

Melissa Marsh said...

Had to chime in on one thing with the self-publishing thing...I used to work for a major self-publisher (it is named in the article) and you actually could get your books in a BN - if you were in the Star program. They may have discontinued this now, I'm not sure. And believe it or not, I've seen some non-Star-program books published by that self-publisher in my local B&N. So it's not a clear case of NEVER getting your books in a B&N. It can and did happen. I am a witness! ;-)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Hi Melissa--yes, I have seen it too. It seems that it's hard to get your book in B&N when you selfpublish AND if you traditionally publish. There's no guarantee of success no matter what you do, really.

Melissa Marsh said...

Agreed - there are just SO MANY books out there. That's why I feel so overwhelmed sometimes about actually getting my book published. But, gotta keep at it!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.