Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Word Up Wednesday: Perfidy

Sort of following the naughtiness of last week's rapscallion comes perfidy, which means a form of deception, particularly in the context of war, in which one side promises to act in good faith and then breaches his or her word once the enemy has exposed himself; a deliberate breach of faith or trust. The word comes from the Latin prefix per-, which means (destruction) and fides (faith.)

Is perfidy ever a good thing? It's not funny when it's used in reference to war crimes, but I think perfidy can be fine when the person doing it is the hero. Otherwise, it's just a lovely word to mean a rather emotional concept--betrayal and trickery always does our head in because we tend to operate on a social moral code of honoring our word. A powerful and rarely used word, if Google searches have anything to say about it.

My sentence:

The plan to employ perfidy against King Sebastian's army had Sonia aflutter with excitement; she was to be used as the decoy.

What's yours?

2 comments:

Jill Kemerer said...

My husband and I can't help using perfidy at Christmastime, and our kids are fooled every time.

Jm Diaz said...

I used Rapscallion in my last post. Now, I'm gonna have to find use for perfidy. I knew the word, just never really used it. Weird, eh? As always, loving your posts, Sierra.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.