Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Word Up Wednesday: Metronome

Yes, welcome to a new feature on the blogo-rama-dingdong, where every Wednesday I pick a word and spout about how wonderful it is, and you agree or disagree in the comments, or put your own word. This is a blog, after all, about writing, although I know at times it might seem as if Japanese Toilets and oatcakes are of greater concern. I sort of swiped Word Up Wednesday from idea-generator extraordinaire Tina Lynn, but I suggest that she give up her Word Wednesday and instead stick with I'm in the Dumps Monday So Please Make Me Laugh, which is far more amusing.

So today's inaugural word will be one I've been kicking about all week: metronome. This is a gorgeous word to say because it has that pleasant "nome" sound at the end that makes you point your lips and draw your face down. But there's something very comforting in the regularity of a metronome. It's a ticking instrument to measure the beat in music. I used it this week in my novel in the following sentence:

[Character] was drawn to [these people] with the regularity of a metronome.

What do you think, about Word Up Wednesday, and about metronome? Can you use it in a sentence?

13 comments:

Matt said...

I'm sorry. I can't come up with one:)

Jill Kemerer said...

Blogo-rama-dingdong? Love it!

Let's see. I'll try, but I'm not guaranteeing a good sentence.

Whenever she thought of Steve, her opinion flipped back and forth like a metronome.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Hi Matt! Hi Jill! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Jill, I like the sentence. Matt, see if you can work in one about your filthy but fascinating neighbors.

Travener said...

As George Costanza would say, "It's got a 'metro' in front and then a 'nome.' It's not bad."

My sentence: He stood in triumph over the body of his hated piano teacher, the blood-stained knife still in his hand, but recoiled in horror when he realized he was not yet free of the torment of the mocking, clacking metronome.

Travener said...

Here's another sentence.

"Why, I had no idea this was such a big city. I always thought this was a small town on the Arctic Circle."

"Of course it's a big town. Why do you think they call it Metro Nome?"

Sierra Godfrey said...

NICE ONE Travener!! LOL!

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

I like the idea. :) Although metronomes don't give me comfort. They always remind me of a ticking time bomb or something.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

Here's what it immediately makes me think:

That little Travelocity guy always carries a shoulder bag and wears paisley ties because he is a metrognome. Or, metrognomic.

Travener said...

Now, THAT'S funny, Amber!

Tina Lynn said...

I got nothing. I must go and spank myself. Or maybe, cry. Or sleep for 14 hours. I'm not sure.

coffeelvnmom said...

I have one sitting on my piano right now. Would love to use it when I can't sleep, but it would drive the husband crazy!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Love that word. It does roll off the tongue nicely. :)

Meghan Ward said...

I think your metronome sentence is great, but otherwise I agree with Roni that it's a word that kind of stresses me out. I love the word "defenestrate", though. LOVE it.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.