Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Word Up Wednesday: Lavish

This week's word is lavish. I love this word because it's wide and rich, and full of whatever it is. I find that it's best used when writing something extreme or silly, such as:

The man vomited in a lavish display over the curb.
I'm sorry to gross you out but the idea of lavish vomit is so funny (in theory only, please). In this sense, I think lavish adds description of the vomit that would be quite inappropriate to spell out: color, spread, and contents. No need for any of that; lavish takes care of it. I picture geyser-like sprays of sick, and...well, I think we have the picture here.

Lavish, when Googled, produces all kinds of pictures of curvaceous ladies and, inexplicably, candles. Why is this? Because the word implies a certain succulency, a certain idea of luxury, warmth, and extravagance. As you have seen, the use of lavish extends beyond these ideas since I chose to go with puke as my example sentence subject. And that is why I love the word.

What do you think about lavish? Can you use it in a sentence?

8 comments:

Tina Lynn said...

Lavish vomit?

Um...

Nothing feels better after a hard day then a lavish bubble bath surrounded by candles.

:)

Travener said...

Oh, Sierra, let me lavish you with succulency!

Lindsey Himmler said...

When I hear "lavish" I always think of that old "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" announcer. Maybe a little Zsa Zsa Gabor as well.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Tina, yes, fine a lavish bubble bath might be better than vomit.
Trave - you're confusing lavish with ravish!!
Lindsey - Good one, I think that too.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Hehehe... I never thought of describing vomit as lavish. That's awesome!

Tina Lynn said...

Um...and pardon me for the "then" versus "than", I was coming off of a night shift. So tired.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

For me, lavish can only be used to describe home decor -- like rich reds and velvet cushions.

It's strange how certain adjectives call up such different images for us all.

Cammie said...

I actually really like your pairing of lavish with vomit (I think that describes an experience I had in my early 20s quite accurately!)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.