Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Writing and Cities

It's always fun to set a story in a gorgeous city. Major cities are obviously favorite settings: New York, Los Angeles, London, and Chicago. Lots to do and lots of landmarks that make a story great. I set a story in London and Edinburgh. Edinburgh, Scotland (pictured at right), is probably my most favorite city in the world, quite apart from being home to Hibernian FC. It's dark, full of romantic Georgian architecture, small, and has a castle. What more could you want?

My novel that is set in Santorini starts out in San Francisco, which was fun since I wrote about places I knew well. My current work in progress is set in my hometown of Santa Cruz, CA, but also sees a lot of Lake Tahoe.

Where is your story set? What made you want to set it there?

6 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

My next novel will be set in WW2 Washington D.C. As I've never been there, I will have to rely on photos and books, but just maybe I can swing a trip there someday soon!

My current WIP is set in a small fictional town in Nebraska. It's amazing how much easier it is to write about a place you know well as opposed to some place you've never been. I know that sounds obvious, but since I love to write about foreign cities or big cities I've never been to, it frustrates me that I can't write about them as well as the places that I've lived. Does this make sense in a rambling sort of way?

Travener said...

My novel is mostly set in an Ojai-like town in Southern Cal, with lots of stuff happening also in L.A.

Santa Cruz? Travener = UCSC alum. Is the Boardwalk still there?

Sierra Godfrey said...

Hey Melissa-- that makes sense and I like the idea of a fictional city. I've never done that.

Trav, yes Boardwalk still there, of course! You are a lucky duck to have gone there, most beautiful college campus in world (although surely Edinburgh University must come a close second or tie).

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

My first novel was set in the mountains of North Carolina because I needed some place a bit mysterious. My romance is set in New Orleans because that's where I'm from and beyond the "writing what I know" thing, I love my home city. My newest WIP takes place in California (LA area) because it has to for the story, but I'm not so comfortable with writing the setting yet because I haven't been there. I may end up creating a fictional suburb to help me out, lol.

Natalie said...

I always make up settings, because real ones never seem to work like I want them to. You can mold a fictional city into anything you want it to be :)

Meghan Ward said...

Paris! And some in Tokyo. I've never been to Edinburgh, but Paris is a ridiculously beautiful city, and I don't visit it often enough. My book is set there because it's a memoir, so I didn't have much choice!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.