Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday 5: eReader Pros and Cons

This week's Thursday 5 is actually a list of 10 - 5 pros and 5 cons for eReaders (I gave a kind of roundup of eReaders on Tuesday).

5 Reasons to love eReaders
1. Instant downloading of books. You can finish a book in bed and then download a new one, just like that (with wifi enabled devices).

2. You can store lots and lots of books on them, so you don't have to clutter your bookcase with books you may not read again.

3. Take more books with you in a smaller package. This means that you can take 10 books with you on vacation. What, you don't do that?

4. Are cool electronic devices, therefore giving yourself the impression that you are technologically hip.

5. Can store other documents on them too, even your own novel draft, so you can look at your novel in almost final printed form with a few clicks.



5 Reasons NOT to love eReaders
1. No way to share them with your friends and family.

2. No way to display them on your bookshelf, thereby saying something about your personality.

3. Can't feel them in your hands or smell their papery smell.

4. Not all books are available on them.

5. Expensive.


What are your pros and cons for eReaders?

6 comments:

Tina Lynn said...

Pro ~ They look freaking sweet!

Con ~ I don't have one.

Sierra Godfrey said...

LOL Tina and thanks for being my only commenter today. I must stink this week.

Meghan Ward said...

You know, I wonder if you can share books on the iPaid the way you an on nook. I hope so. I agree with your list, and I want one! I'm also excited to be able to read newspapers and (I hope) magazines on the iPad. I'm going to get one!

Meghan Ward said...

P.S. You don't stink. You just weren't showing on on my Bloglines acct as having a new post up. Not sure why.

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Pro--when I'm reading books with naughty covers featuring men in various states of undress (not that I ever do such a thing) no one knows what I'm reading. I also agree with all of your pros.

Con--I mentioned this on your previous post, but DRM is a pain. I want to be able to buy my ebooks from whichever store. Also, I do sometimes miss the ability to quickly flip through a book to reference a certain part.

Sorry to be late to comment on your post. I've been a bad commenter lately!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks guys and Roni, how funny about the covers; one might say it's a CON not to be able to look at such a cover.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.