Friday, March 5, 2010

Google Reader Roundup




  • Dystel & Goderich agency totally lost me with this query critique on Monday by starting the effing thing with "Don't begin a letter with 'I'." Maybe is harsh joke. Maybe is silly wee jokey-joke from agents to writers. But of all the things you need to do in a query, starting with "I" wasn't one of the things I watched for. Add that to the list, I guess, but my point is, that's not the biggest thing to be watching for in queries. Try getting your pitch right?
  • Holly Root at the Waxman Agency gives a list of what a referral is and isn't. We already know this stuff but it was good reading nonetheless.
  • I learned what a claymore mine is this week and I must say, I fell in love with it immediately. It, according to Wiki, fires shrapnel, in the form of steel balls, out to about 100 meters within a 60° arc in front of the device. It is used primarily in ambushes. NICE!! I mean, it doesn't get any better than that. God it's so deliciously violent. I felt you needed to know about claymore mines as well.
  • Tina Lynn made a trailer for her WIP and it is just totally amazing. It has a fantastic tag line, great music (Sigur Ros) and is very well done. Take a look because not only is it done well, but it's an interesting idea for books or other materials you want to promote or shout about, but which may not be published. Tina Lynn proves that it doesn't matter if it's not published.

8 comments:

Tina Lynn said...

I got a mention! Squee! And wow, I have a lot of reading to do. Sweet cheese wheels! Where do you find all of this stuff?

Travener said...

Man, I won't sleep for a week now that I've seen those pictures of mutant ants. It's not enough for you to say the pics are "totally disgusting." You should have said TOTALLY EFFING DISGUSTING, GROSS AND DISTURBING!!!!! Yecchh!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Tina, I spend far, far more time on the tinterwebs than I should, and skim a lot of blogs quickly!

Trav (secret lover), you are so right about those ants being disturbing, did you see the movie of the suicide committing beetle and the RANK ROTTEN worm that explodes out of it?

When life gets you down, be thankful you don't have mutant fungi growing out of the top of your head (shortly before it eats your brain).

CKHB said...

Like I said on Twitter, I am no longer scared of zombies. I am scared of mind-controlling brain fungus.

Lt. Cccyxx said...

I find there are many fine examples from the insect world quite handy for flummoxing "intelligent design" proponents/creationists.

"So *this* is the wonderful world you think was designed just especially for us, eh? I dunno, seems pretty f'ed up to me."

Kristan said...

SWEET! Spread words of the ant-infecting fungi! They are SO fascinating.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

I'm really confused about trolololololololo.

Lo.

Natalie said...

Tina Lynn's book trailer was awesome. I was seriously impressed. And I loved interns thoughts too--she cracks me up.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.