Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Word Up Wednesday: Eponymous

I knew I had played too much Legend of Zelda in my life when the first thing I associated with this great word eponymous was Epona, the horse first introduced in Nintendo 64's Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. As I've moved on to the supremely stress-relieving Grand Theft Auto series (carjacking and then stopping the car to get out and punch people is much more fun that it sounds), I felt I could explore this beautiful word without hindrance.

So, eponymous is one of those words that I always hear, but had no real idea what it meant or how to use it. It means someone who gives his or her name to something, such as Stanky McStankstank, the eponymous owner of the famous garbage dump called Stanky's. It is also apparently an REM album, presumably the band being clever with calling their album after themselves.
I think the real danger in using this word is in sounding pretentious.
Can you think of any examples of things that are eponymous? I'll go first. This blog! Ooh, I win. Okay, your turn.

8 comments:

Dawn Hullender said...

I have absolutely nothing profound to offer as I've just woken up and it's too damned early to be thinking this deeply.

Have a good day.

That is all.

DL Hammons said...

I have a whole new level of respect for you now that I know you played Zelda growing up...or GTA now. :)

I'm not sure if this is the right usage...but how about Geronimo? The great Native American leader whose name is now uttered when jumping off a cliff or other tall height. ??

Travener said...

A word that should be used sparingly, I think. Throwing it in when it's obvious -- "Dolly Parton, the owner of the eponymous theme park Dollywood" -- is, as you say, pretentious. Best used when the reference isn't clear or may be a surprise -- "Dolly Parton, creator of the eponymous Parton tractor widget..."

Sierra Godfrey said...

Dawn, LOL thank you for commenting anyway, I love it.

Don, Thanks sir...I'm also an experienced Mario player, plus now I spend a lot of time in Animal Crossing. You've all seen my schedule so you may wonder when I fit video games in, the answer is it seems to find cracks in the schedule and slip in...

Geronimo is PERFECT. Yes!

Trav - Yep, you got that right, your last example should be used in the event Dolly makes a tractor widget, and really, why wouldn't she?

atsiko said...

Disneyland!

Anyway, Zelda wins. Of course, I knew the name Epona from mythology first, but still.

Tahereh said...

omg sorry but i just couldn't get past ZELDA!!! *cries* i miss that eponymous game.

Julie Dao said...

Super Mario is an eponymous hero that I love. Mario RPG on my brother's old-school N64 and some Easter candy... life doesn't get any better than that.

Mike Chen said...

I always think of the REM album when I see that word. Even before I knew what it meant.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.