Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Word Up Wednesday: Noxious

God, is it Wednesday already? And almost April? How did that even happen? I'm pretty sure March passed me right by while I was trying to shake my head clear of cobwebs and think. I feel like Bugs Bunny in that episode with the scientist, swimming in noxious ether fumes:





Which brings me to a great word for this week: noxious. Apart from having an x in it, which is always a good sign, noxious is commonly coupled with words like fumes, weeds, or gases. And small wonder since noxious means harmful or injurious to health or physical well-being. It also means morally harmful and corrupting, so you can use it as an adjective: My nemesis likes to engage in hatching noxious plans against me, but I outsmart and outmaneuver him every time.

Since noxious doesn't end in the dreaded "ly" I think it should be used with abandon. It seems like a perfect word for dastardly character.


8 comments:

Tina Lynn said...

His stare was noxious, stinging my eyes and weakening my pulse.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ha! Love that Bugs Bunny episode. :)
Yes, noxious is perfect for an evil character!

Lt. Cccyxx said...

Since noxious doesn't end in the dreaded "ly" I think it should be used with abandon. It seems like a perfect word for dastardly character.

Or someone who doesn't shower after the gym.

atsiko said...

Actually, it does end in "-ly": "noxiously"--although I've very rarely seen that version of the word used.

Anyway, it is totally an awesome adjective, and I think the Harry Potter Trading Card Game(TM) used it for various cards in the suit of "Potions".

Sierra Godfrey said...

Tina - Interesting use :) but a good one.

Jennifer - Glad you liked, that has to be my all-time fav BB cartoon.

Lt. - As you purport to go to the gym and shower afterward, I think we can put the pieces together on that one!

Atsiko - but noxious without the ly is the safe version. The words seems like it lends itself well to Harry Potter!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

There was a noxious smell at work today. It made me want to say ungodly mean things to my coworker, the culprit.

SAMUEL PARK said...

Noxious is practically onomatopeiac! Holy cow, Batman!

Simon C. Larter said...

Yes, I confess. Most of my plans are harmful and morally corrupting. Those are really the best kind of plans, I think. Now I'm off to revel in my noxiousness (which has nothing to do with scent and everything to do with corruption).

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.