Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Word Up Wednesday: Grateful

I had a different word for you today, but so often when I start writing these posts, what I really wanted to talk about came out loud and clear.

I hope I don't come across as an angry writer here on this blog. I'm passionate, but not angry, definitely not about publishing, agents, queries or the query process, or my writing. I'm happy about my own path, and I really enjoy the writing and revision of my novel. I am not a tired writer, or a bitter writer, or one that is very angry about my interactions (or lack of) with publishing professionals. I'm a joyful writer. (Let me know in the comments if you think I come across otherwise. I'd like to hear it.)

Your Word Up this week is really the word that I feel about the things I have in life, and about the whole writing process: grateful.

It's a funny word because if you say it five times really fast, the "grate" part of the word starts sticking in the back of your throat. And we all know we should be grateful for things, but we rarely are, because being grateful is harder work than being all bitter and angry about stuff.

Like everyone else, I try to remind myself every now and then to take stock of all the really amazing things in my life and be glad. I could do that, but what I'm most grateful for is nothing physical: it's the fact that I have the luxury to be grateful. I'm not hurting, or wanting, or grieving, or in a bad place with no way out. I've got a job with health insurance, all my arms and legs, a healthy husband, a healthy and really cute and smart whippersnapper, AND on top of all that? On the very top, where it shouldn't even be, but is? The luxury to do what I love doing most of all: writing stories.

Cripes, yeah, I'm grateful for that.

More than grateful, I freaking LOVE it.

I'm also grateful for a lot of beautiful things in life: sunshine. Fresh air. A modicum of freedom. The fact that I can read a good book. The simple beauty of a California poppy in the sunshine and wind.

On the writing side again: I'm super grateful for all the readers of my blog, even those who don't like what I say all the time, and my bloggy friends, and twitter friends, and my writing group. I'm grateful that I have the tools available to me to write, learn, and research. I'm grateful that I don't have to write longhand. I'm grateful for where I am in the whole process: obvi I want to publish stories, but I want to do it on my own time, when I'm ready, when my book is ready, for the right reasons.

What are you grateful for?

12 comments:

JEM said...

Sierra, you for sures don't come off as angry AT ALL. In fact I find your blog inspiring, so don't worry about that :). I'll punch anyone who says anything else.

I'm grateful for a supportive family and lifestyle that allows me to pursue my dreams without fear of going hungry.

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

You definitely don't come across as angry.

As for being grateful, I'm grateful for the obvious things: my family, my kiddo, the fact that I can stay home with him and write. And most recently I'm thankful to the hubs for making it possible for me to attend the National RWA conference in July, which I thought I'd have no shot of attending. :)

atsiko said...

Not seeing the angry here. :)

First, I'm grateful for all the no-brainers. Also, having so much free time to indulge in my hobbies--and this blog. ;)

Travener said...

I can't recall any angry post on your part. Must've missed it. Oh, grateful -- well, I posted on that some time ago but the bookends of the list were, as you, dear secret lover, might have known, my kids and boobies.

DL Hammons said...

I see passionate...but not angry. Sometimes people get those confused.

Today I'm grateful for...family and friends that keep me propped up, moving in a straightline, nudge me when I drift, encourage me when I falter. I am who they instill in me to be.

Sierra Godfrey said...

JEM - I think I love you for wanting to punch anyone in the face for thinking I'm angry :)
You are lucky that your family supports you so you don't starve.

Roni -- Congrats on going :)

Atsiko -- You're very nice to keep coming back, I love it :)

Trav -- I am grateful for kids and boobies too.

Don -- nudging loved ones are awesome, huh! You're right people sometimes confuse passion with anger. They do go hand in hand sometimes, but to me, totally distinguishable.

KLM said...

I am grateful for blogging and for bloggers like you, Sierra. I really thought the whole online platform thing would be a total drag, but it's a blast to read and comment and follow everyone's writing journey.

I'm also grateful that my husband's last name isn't something weird like Assahatty. Because then I'd be named Kristen Lippert-Assahatty. And that just doesn't roll off the tongue the way it should.

Julie Dao said...

I think you come across as honest and down to earth. Who's seeing angry? Because if anyone is seeing that, they're completely wrong. I love your blog and what you have to say. Keep on keeping on!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

You aren't angry, you're firey. There's a difference. Duhspice.

I am grateful that I haven't had any morning sickness yet, and that I am going to have a baby. I am grateful for my hubs and parents and friends and health and for my ability to type real fast.

Simon C. Larter said...

I'm grateful for a nemesis. I'd be spending my time plotting the destruction of random innocents, otherwise. They're less fun to destroy than someone who's actively plotting your destruction in return.

It almost gives me the warm fuzzies, come to think of it.

*fuzzies*

Oh, there it goes. Nice.

Jenna Wallace said...

Not just well said, but well said with passion!

I am grateful for my happy and healthy children, my husband whom I love more each day, and for the chance to do what I love for a living, whether it works out long term or not. And for hummingbirds, because the ingenuity and engineering of nature continues to astound me.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Kristen, amen to that, and also glad here my husband's name isn't Asshattery, Butt, or Roach.

Julie -- I'll keep on :)

Amberspice -- I'm grateful I can type real fast too as it happens. And I'm grateful you're having a baby too.

Simon -- I CANNOT BELIEVE you went all warm and fuzzy on me, you FOUL FOUL nemesis! You gave ME the warm fuzzies with that! Thanks a lot. Thanks a LOT. Yeah, you can mark that one on your chart. You sunk one of my battleships-- but it was only a teensy destroyer :) (And yes I am grateful for a nemesis too ---> you.)

Jenna -- Oh, hummingbirds, yes yes yes! Their tiny little hearts, beating so fast and furiously, how can you not admire!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.