Tuesday, May 18, 2010

For the Win: Bookstore Placeholders

On Friday on Twitter, I had an amusing and diverting discussion with TH Mafi and author Linda Godfrey. (Linda is no relation to me, but you can see that we follow one another on Twitter because of our shared last name, which is made of pure awesome.) Our discussion centered around the fact that I said when I go into a bookstore, I always go over to the Fiction section and find the Gs and then make a hole where my name would go, for my future books.
This idea isn't my own; I saw it on a blog once, and once I started doing it, now I do it every time. I'm a huge believer in small actions to affirm your goals. I once read that Scott Adams, creator of Dilbert, wrote on a piece of paper every day that his two major comic competitors, Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes) and Gary Larson (The Far Side) would retire and leave him as the reigning comic king.

And they did.

And he was.

He was sort of joking when he said this, but the thing was, but he says actually did that. And he does it for other things, too.

And to be honest, every time I've written something down, I've gotten it.

Call it whatever you like. Believe it, or not. So along these lines, I make a space in the Gs, usually next to Gail Godwin's books. So on Twitter, one of us suggested a club where we'd do this on each other's behalf. You can make space or you can even stick a marker in there for yourself. Linda did it for me in Janesville, Wisconsin, Waldenbook (I'm glad Waldenbook still exists, btw):



LOOK AT THAT. Linda did this on a Chinese placemat. She bent it into shape to be book-like. Nice, huh? Right in between a Gail Godwin and a zombie anthology (could not get any better, really).

Linda didn't end up leaving it there (which I'm kind of glad about because I'm a scaredy-cat sort), but it's the action and the picture that counts.

I make space every time I go into a bookstore. Do you? Do you do anything like this?

11 comments:

Simon C. Larter said...

I learned about this in the blogosphere too. I've done it, I confess. I'd be next to Stieg Larsson, which is pretty nifty.

Of course, as your nemesis, I'm contractually obligated to go into my local bookstore and press the books on either side of where your name would go tighter together. Simply a symbolic gesture, you understand.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Last time I was at Books-A-Million, I looked to see where my novel would go. Made things suddenly real.

DL Hammons said...

This is the first time I've heard of this...so...no...I've never done that. Gotta admit is kinda cool though.

Linda Godfrey said...

And Sierra, did you notice that your first novel is going to be titled "Nese Zod?" Sounds alienish to me but it could work.

Thanks heaps for the mention and I have noo doubt the magic works.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

What a fab idea that speaks to The Secret-believer in me! I haven't thought to make a space for my books, but just this Sunday in Barnes and Noble I showed my ten-year-old daughter where my book will go on the shelf. Of course, my last name is too hard to pronounce, let alone remember, so I'm leaning towards using a pen name. I've got to think one up quickly and start making room on bookshelves for it!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Ha ha-- Simon, funny you should mention that; you can count on Steig Larsson's books being spread ALL OVER THE SHELF by me as a loving gesture to you.

Caroline, glad you do this too :)

Don, definitely give it a go!

Linda - Nese Zod is a very interesting name, I'll have to think on that one! Thanks again for your support.

Nicole, I wasn't going to mention The Secret in my post, but in fact I believe it too. Interesting about the pen name -- don't choose one starting with Z because I don't know about you, but I rarely go look at the end of fiction. Poor Zs.

Indigo said...

Never have, but I'm going to start. What a cool way to reaffirm belief in yourself. (Hugs)Indigo

KLM said...

I'm totally going to do this next time I go to the bookstore. Henceforth it will be known as Godfreying. :)

I don't know who I'd be near on the shelf. Probably some kid who smells like pot smoke. No wait, that was high school.

Sierra Godfrey said...

GODFREYING!!! Love it!!

and thanks Indigo!

Amalia T. said...

This is awesome! I'm going to have to go check it out and see where I'd land.. of course then I have to figure out what genre I'm in, too...

Project Journal said...

That is so cool, Sierra!!

Now, I'm going to think of this everytime I'm at the bookstore ; )
Hannah

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.