Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday 5: Easing Headaches

One morning last week I lay in bed in agony with a heinous migraine shooting spikes up one side of my head. I thought: what are all the ways I know of to get rid of headaches? I thought of five, and wrote this blog post in my head. I've had headaches since forever and used to suffer from migraines regularly until I had my whippersnapper, which sort of changed my hormonal makeup (which is nice considering how much else he messed up on my body! But this is not Amber's TMI post.) Now I only have one migraine once per month.

I use all the methods below. Some work better than others at different times, for different types of headaches. I present them in order of effectiveness, with #5 being the best method.


1. Visualize.
I once read an article in Cosmo when I was 12 that described using visualization to get rid of headaches. I'm embarrassed to say it worked and I've used what I read ever since. This is the weakest of all remedies for me, but sometimes it's really good. What I do (and this is what the article described) is picture cool, clean water washing over your grey matter, rinsing out the black rotting headache and pushing it out. Mmmm. Doesn't that feel refreshing? You know it does.

2. Chew gum.
The body's natural response to pain is to clench up and freeze, but that will not prevent or get rid of your pain. Massage and gentle motion is the way. Chewing gum moves your jaw muscles, which moves the muscle connected to your jaw, which happen to go up into your head and over your skull. Try it. It feels good. If you clench and grind your jaw like I do, this is like a free massage.

3. Do yoga.
Do a form of yoga that stretches every muscle as opposed to putting you in crazy poses. Include my personal favorite pose, "corpse pose," which means you lie down on the floor and spread out and just relaaaaaaax. Perhaps it is my favorite pose because you don't actually have to do anything but lie down. Anyway, it works.

4. Use drugs.
Difference non-prescription drugs work for different people, but Excedrin Migraine does it for me. Oh man it's the bomb. Prescription headache drugs are powerful and not always very healthy to take (plus they lose their efficacity after a while). Consider carefully before demanding a prescription from your doctor.

5. Use drugs plus Diet Coke.
Or Coke Zero or whatever -- for some reason, cola (with caffeine; that is key) is a good combination. A Diet Coke and an Excedrin work very well for hangovers, too. Take it from me.


Have any to add? Cause man, as writers, as Merchants of Frustration, we probably collectively have a lot of headaches.

33 comments:

Tahereh said...

hahaha this is genius!!

Tahereh said...

OMG LOOK A COMMENT!!

Tahereh said...

what the.. is that.. OMG IS THAT ANOTHER COMMENT?

Tahereh said...

i'll leave so many comments you're going to have to use this post to help fix your headache.

Tahereh said...

WHOO--

Tahereh said...

--PS SORRY GOT CUT OFF.

great blog BY THE WAY.

Tahereh said...

seriously. so i had this great piece of pie today. it was DELISH.

Tahereh said...

i would've shared some with you except i already ate it.

Tahereh said...

MMMMM SUGAR HEADACHE.

need help with that.

know any good articles?

Tahereh said...

SHU UP NO WAY?!

you the EXACT article i need??

AND you have a BLOG??

MAYBE I SHOULD COMMENT ON IT.

Tahereh said...

comment comment

Tahereh said...

now maybe you have too many comments?

Tahereh said...

I'M JUST TRYING TO TELL YOU I LOVE YOU GEEZ.

Tahereh said...

MMMMMM LOOK A COOKIE!

Tahereh said...

i'll be back later.

Tahereh said...

HEARTS!

Mia said...

Ok.

SO PLAINLY YOU HAVE THIS INSANE STALKER WOMAN COMMENTING ON YOUR BLOG AND CUTTING HERSELF OFF.

BUT THAT'S OK, I LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE.

RIGHT. Number 5 is what I do :) And then, because I have this ridiculous over-sensitivity to caffeine, I go all super-Mia on the world and start doing stuff I WOULD NEVER NORMALLY BOTHER TO DO. It's very effective but also I get accused of being on drugs... which is so not the point, but oddly a true accusation. They're just legal ones.

p.s. Surely you mean "sleep" when you say "corpse pose"? That sounds an awful lot like sleep to me...

Mia said...

Ahahaha, in the time it took me to write that she commented five times?! Genius. But also quite weird. Just saying....

Mia said...

Oooooh, so you had zero when you tweeted like ten minutes ago *nods* oooooh. Well now you have a GAZILIION and also I tried that yoga thing just now. I'll be honest. It felt almost exactly like taking a nap.

It's ok though. I quite like napping.

Mia said...

And there's a typo in there *facepalm* sorry *hugs*

Tahereh said...

OMG MIA WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!

i thought this was my own personal private party space.

IT'S OK THO YOU'RE TOTES INVITED.

#bringthezombies

Mia said...

WELL I could ask the same of you BUT IF I'M INVITED THAT'S OK THEN

#willcallthemover #justbeamo

#didImentiontheymadecupcakes?

#OMGandtheundeadgettheseterribleHeadaches

#theywillloveit

Mia said...

First they made these for you Sierra. And I was all "Come on, you think that's enough for her? Pschawww, WE NEED MORE. SUGAR DOESN'T COME IN SMALL PACKAGES."

And so they ran off and sulked for a while but then came back with these and I told them that would do for now.

They are all for you (and Tahereh) take some :)

Sierra Godfrey said...

I am in love with you both.

COMMENTS and CUPCAKES.

LIFE DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER.

Amalia T. said...

Oh man. Gum Chewing. I could never use that remedy. Even the smell of Gum makes me sick. (I have recurring Gum-chewing nightmares where I can't get it out of my mouth and/or my teeth fall outish. SO creepy!)

But Excedrin?! I am totally down with Excedrin. Curiously, compared side by side, Excedrin and Excedrin migraine are exactly the same, ingredient wise.

Depending on the headache (tension related) I will sometimes go with the Ibuprofen, since it's more a muscle-anti-inflammatory type thing, too.

also. Water. Drinking lots of water! And making my husband rub the back of my neck, base of my skull. AND! sometimes squeezing my head hard for a second and then letting go again does a world of good. I picked up that technique from a workshop on relaxation and stress management.

So uhm. So there!

Tahereh said...

*SWIPES A CUPCAKE*

*jumps on Sierra's bed with her shoes on*

WHAT'S GOIN ON GUYS??

*spots a zombie*

*chases after it*

Mia said...

*yanks on tail of Tahereh's jacket*

*pulls her off squirming zombie*

PLEASE DON'T TERRORIZE THE ZOMBIES AFTER THEY MAKE YOU SWEET BAKERY GOODS, DEAR.

Kthnx.

*pats Tahereh on head*

I actually came *hops on bed**kicks off shoes* *settles* to give you this, what I made because I obvs love you too *grins*

Also, water does work a treat sometimes. BUT that's mainly because I don't drink enough.

*flings pillow at zombie chaser*

Tahereh said...

OMG, THANKS MIA!

*eats cake*
*apologizes to accosted zombie*
*offers a bit of cake*
*gets chocolate all over Sierra's comforter*

DUDE WHERE *IS* SIERRA?

*waits*
*sees Sierra about to walk into room*
*TACKLES*

WE HAVE CAKE AND CUPCAKES!
also ZOMBIES!

Mia said...

*quickly hides comforter*

*pats down bed*

*picks up squished carpet cake*

*whistles*

*waves at Sierra*

WE ALSO HAVE SPARKLES

Alicia J. Frey said...

Ok, after reading the comments... I totally forgot my comment... Then I had to go back and reread the post... And then... now I comment...

Chewing gum is an awesome idea. I would have never thought of that to relieve a headache. I'm having two wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, so I'll be going with Door #4 lots of drugs. They are putting me to sleep - so in case I don't wake up (Rover didn't) - Just know that you are awesome! Sorry I've been such a crappy blog buddy. Life should settle down soon. Sure hope so - cuz I miss you.

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Okay, these comments are cracking me up. I get wicked, seeing-spots-in-my-vision migraines when I don't have morning caffeine or if I get caught in a bad glare (like talking to someone sitting in front of a bright window). They're horrible. The only thing that works for me is Excedrin Migraine--it has medicine and a whopping dose of caffeine. Greatness. Although it does make me a little twitchy, lol. (Btw, this post is STILL not showing in my dashboard)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Who knew there would be a party on my blog today? With cupcakes, bed-jumping, and sparkles?

Here's the thing about regular Excedrin and Excedrin Migraine though Amalia -- the ingredients ARE the same but the amount of aspirin and caffeine are way different!

Alicia, it sounds like you'll be riding the Vicodin or Percocet track for your wisdom teeth in which case YAY! I can't remember which one I had for my wisdom teeth (but I think it was Percocet) and when I took it, within 5 minutes I saw red and blue colors. Also it made me puke. BUT it was fantastic. I'm a bit of a drug lightweight though.


Roni-- Excedrin Migraine makes me twitchy too. But it works.

Yay! Have more cupcakes!

Meghan Ward said...

I'm all about the drunks when I get a headache.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.