Monday, June 28, 2010

Got Plot?

Today I have a special treat: an info-graphic on plots. This is something that I was mucking about with for my own use. I am a plotter, you see, and I like to have things clear (and also I love layout). I recently did a revision on my story's midpoint, and wanted to review exactly how important the drama should be at that point. And thus, the poster was born.

This is 11 x 17 in size; and the below is an image of the actual poster. Click on it to make it bigger, or click here to download a PDF.

Comments on the steps I used are welcome. I know some will disagree with them--if so, would love to hear your thoughts in the comments.


13 comments:

Lt. Cccyxx said...

Very nice! (now i have to go check to make sure my book has all that stuff...)

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

This looks great, Sierra! I'm (unfortunately, no matter how hoard I try) not a plotter, but this will be a good checklist for after I'm done. :)

Travener said...

Totally awesome, dudette! I printed it out and will tape it to the wall next to the computer.

Anne R. Allen said...

This is seriously good, Sierra. Every creative writing teacher should have one. It explains three-act structure in a visual, easy to grasp format.

You've got some excellent products designed here on this blog--this chart, your fortune cookies, and that fabulous Queryland game. Think of the market at writers conferences!

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

Sierra, I love that chart. You are so organized. Oh, to be more of a plotter than a panster.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I dig this!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it!

I have another one planned soon on a different topic....stay tuned!

Linda G. said...

Great checklist! Thanks for sharing it. :)

gwenhernandez said...

This is beautifully done and gels nicely with the plot structure that Larry Brooks teaches over on storyfix.com. Thanks for sharing!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks Linda!

Hey Gwen, thanks for the comment. I've read through that storyfix site; it's a good one. But something interesting: Larry calls the inciting incident the same thing as the first plot point. I disagree with this. I think they are two separate events.

Suzi McGowen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzi McGowen said...

I love this! Nicely laid out, clear, and not overly didactic :)

DL Hammons said...

Check.
Check.
Check.
Check.
Check.

:)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.