Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Word Up Wednesday: Interminable

This week's word up is one that is often combined with WAITING. Because waiting, as we all know, SUCKS. And when you're in the middle of it, it seems to have no end, which is precisely what waiting consists of. In fact, it's a wonder we say the word waiting at all, when interminable does so nicely.

It seems like I did a lot of interminable waiting as a kid. Always waiting for grownups to finish talking or taking care of one thing or another. I am very conscious of this now with the whippersnapper. He's always waiting for me. As for me, I was an energetic and vivacious sort, and there was no getting used to waiting. Maybe that's why I was such a reader. I will still take a book with me today, and if someone whips out their phone to take a call that is clearly more important than speaking to me, out comes my book and the waiting becomes less interminable.

As writers, we know how interminable waiting goes, do we not (coy smile)? We wait until our novels are finished, we wait until they're good, we wait until the point where they're ready to query, we wait to hear back from critique partners, we wait to hear back from agents, editors, ahhhh gahhhh! Interminable waiting! We have to devise diversions for ourselves to handle this waiting.

This week I am waiting on something very important. I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that it is NOT anything to do with writing, alas. However not a second goes by that I don't think about it and the waiting is so interminable that it is inimitable and irritating and infuriating!

Waiting is about the worse thing I can bear-- and that goes for writing. It's super hard for me to find patience in the waiting that is required in this profession. What is interminable for you?

9 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I know the waiting DOES stink. I'm waiting too. You'd think it would get easier?

Lt. Cccyxx said...

This week. This week is interminable. And I am not being facetious. (It's about work.)

Tahereh said...

oh GOD THE WAITING MAKE IT STOP

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

First of all, I do not love the word interminable because I am uncomfortable pronouncing it. I think the emphasis is on the "term" but it just still doesn't FEEL right.

Alas. I'm not holding it against YOU, of course.

Now, I'm secretly obsessing about what you could be waiting for that is not writing related. I have a guess, but I don't want to write that here... hmm...

Sierra Godfrey said...

YES waiting is heinous! And No Amber you mustn't say!

Travener said...

Waiting sucks. Sometimes, though, finally getting what you've been waiting for turns to suck even worse.

Talk about disappointment.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Except your picture, Trav!

But that is a very, very good point. And you are right in my particular case, too. What I was waiting for I was very disappointed with when I got the info.

Mohamed Mughal said...

Have you read or seen "Waiting for Godot." You'd love it.

Matthew Rush said...

Waiting sucks. Books make it better. Great post.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.