Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Word Up Wednesday: Wreak

Wreak is an interesting word because if you just take away that little r, you get weak. (Funnily enough, that's what my Nemesis, Simon Larter, is.) However, when you add the r back in, you get exactly what I do to him: wreak havoc. Also, this is what Spain did to Portugal yesterday I watched the taped match between them -- a really excellent display of professional football, keeping the action tense the whole way through and wreaking havoc in my household as everything came to a stop in order to watch this game. (I have renamed the cat Villa in honor of David Villa who scored the goal for Spain. God what a good match.)

Wreak is related to wreck and generally means to bring about destruction. Also to vent. And say it nine times fast, and it starts sounding a little silly. Wreak is a pretty aggro word, actually. Probably most of us don't want anything wreaked on us. Like a storm, a shower of bullets, a dark cloud of pestilence (except for the nemesis). Of course, we like to wreak all kinds of nasty stuff on our characters. Wreaking is, I'd say, a writer's (sharp) tool. If you're not finding ways to up the wreaking, then you're probably back toward being a little weak.

Right. I've got to go find some water to toss on the cat's head in order to christen him his new name. Throwing water on a cat's head might be seen by some as wreaking havoc, but this was a needed step. Behold, the two Villas:


I know the similarity is uncanny! I could only tell them apart because of the red Spain top!

7 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

LOL! Love the cat! He needs a red span top too.

Simon C. Larter said...

You just keep tellin' yourself I'm weak, hon. Keep on thinking that. The false sense of security it engenders will be oh-so-lovely for me to dispel with my havoc-wreaking. >:)

JEM said...

Okay, cheesiest thing ever: you wrote funnily enough right next to a picture of a giant funnel cloud. In my head, I said "funnely enough" and giggled. Nerd.

Amber Tidd Murphy said...

ha! I love JEM's comment.

All I can think is how much havoc I want to wreak on my OBGYN for the events which transpired today... GRR. Anywaddle. I know, I know. All about me. My hormones are outta. control.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Tabitha -- the red top is easily Photoshopped :)

Nemesis - Mm hmm, YOU keep telling YOURself that.
(fine that was lame)

JEM - Excellent, now I'm laughing!

Amber -- Oh man I hope you blogged what happened! Running to look now!

Gwen Hernandez said...

Love that word. And wrack. I managed to use wrack at least three times in my current MS without even trying. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Am I the only one who sees a pointy-chinned man in that cloud? He looks nothing like either Villa though. ;-)

Sierra said...

Holy Krakow Gwen, I see the pointy chin man now!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.