Thursday, July 8, 2010

How to Play with Balls

Mr. Sierra has always played with balls.

Let me explain.

Last week and the week before, I was hideously stressed. It had been a hard couple of weeks at work. I came home one evening and lay on the floor. I tossed one of the whippersnapper's toys--a foam ball-- up in the air, over and over. It was strangely relaxing. Mr. Sierra tussled with me briefly for possession of the ball, as he likes to lie on the floor and toss balls too (hee hee, that sounds so dirty). It was so effective, in fact, that I felt completely restored when I got up. This was probably a combination of lying down, the satisfaction of catching something, and the even greater pleasure of not getting up to get the ball when it happened to fall and roll away -- because the whippersnapper is at an age where he still thinks it's fun to go get something his mother asks him to get.

The next day, I came home and did it again. No--I looked forward to it.

I am a classic stresser, an intense, slightly uptight person. (This must come as a total surprise, no?) However, I don't like being that way, so I look for ways to let go. Letting go is terrifically scary but so exhilarating. Turns out, Mr. Sierra has been doing this for years.

Please try it. It's so much fun. So give it a go -- play with some balls.


6 comments:

Simon C. Larter said...

Or you could just teach the whippersnapper how to make a good martini. Those relieve stress too.

(Just making nemesis-type suggestions, is all. You can thank me later.)

Indigo said...

I tried this. In my case I got a free face washing from the wonder dog Pickles. She was convinced there just had to be something wrong with me. My consensus? Your right, it is strangely relaxing. (Hugs)Indigo

Lt. Cccyxx said...

Damn, Sierra. If you do what your Nemesis suggests, I'd be happy to babysit your kids.

Also, your post made me think of this:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4156/saturday-night-live-nprs-delicious-dish-schweddy-balls

DL Hammons said...

I've done that with all three of my kids when they were small. They would lay on my chest and we'd take turn tossing and catching ball.

Alone, I like to juggle (standing up). That counts...doesn't it? :)

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

I've done this. Unfortunately, kidlet tackles me for the ball instead. Not so relaxing in that case, lol.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Nem -- the whipsnap DOES make a good martini. What do you think he was doing while I was tossing balls?

Glad I'm not the only one guys :) I did it this evening in fact!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.