Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Change is in the air

I love fall. I love how it smells, how it feels on my skin. Crisp and clean and cozy. I like the quality of the light, too-- sort of golden. The leaves start dropping and wider swaths of sunlight shine through. Then there's the eating. My birthday is in September, and so is the whippersnapper's. That means cake--for both of us. Then comes Halloween and the whippersnapper gets very very cute in a costume and strangers give him candy, and I eat it all. Last year he was a triceratops by request. This year he's going out on a limb and wants to be a stegosaurus. After October comes Thanksgiving, and there's nothing bad about that, providing you can take a nap afterward. Then it's just a cool slide toward Christmas.

With the start of Sierra's Autumn also comes a decision that I spent an inordinate amount of time making. I've decided to reduce my five-times-a-week blogging schedule. I love blogging so much and I love writing so much, but there are definitely days where blogging takes too much time and then I have nothing left over for stories. Also, I think there are days where my posts are hit or miss with you guys.

But things, they change. You can directly blame Anne Allen for tipping the scale in favor of this decision, who posted a beautiful and thoughtful post about "slow blogging" (think slow cooking). And then Roni at Fiction Groupie did it yesterday. And last week, Kristen Lippert-Martin talked about submarining. And Meghan Ward and I were talking about reducing my blogging frequency and it being fine. And it all just seemed to make sense, not the least because all these super smart, classy ladies were basically telling me to.

So, with that, my new blogging schedule will be:
  • Mondays
  • Wednesday words
  • Friday Google Reader Roundup
(I wouldn't leave you without your Roundup, would I? No way!)

13 comments:

coffeelvnmom said...

Funny, I'm reading Roni's post and Anne's and then I go back to my dashboard and here's yours too. I think it's an absolutely wonderful idea -- posting three days a week or so. And the whole "inspiration" thing, freaking out when there is nothing exciting to blog about, I don't have that problem anymore, because when I do think of something, it goes as a saved post for whenever my brain shuts off and I have no clue what to blog about.

Now, honestly, I do stress if I have two or less posts a week, and I'm not sure why that is, really. No one cares. I mean really, they don't. If I stopped, life would go on. People aren't going to sit around tapping on their screens saying "My God, Jessica disappeared." And that's okay. It is. (Mainly because I *know* it means more actual writing has been done.)

We're busy, us writerly people. We are trying to write, we are trying to read, we are trying to blog, to tweet, to read the blogs and tweets... and run a life at home with our families. Frankly, it's exhausting. Not that I don't - we don't - love it, we do. But she made a great point. Posting just to post isn't always worth a post in the first place. (I'm liking that point.)

So glad you're going to keep up a few posts, at least. People get used to a schedule, and they'd probably croak on the spot if you didn't give them Wednesday Words and the roundup on Fridays. ;)

And now that I've written a book (on my freakishly late night last spurt of energy), I'm going to bed.*

*Typos, when made after midnight, do not exist.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I love fall too. My favorite smell is roasting green chiles...

I moved from five to three times a week right about the time I sold a book. Much more manageable. Enjoy!

Linda G. said...

Fall is my favorite season. The first chill in the air, the October-blue skies, the woodsmoke, getting to wear my cozy sweaters...*happy sigh*

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Well, obviously I'm on board with the three day a week plan, lol. I've read that blogging three regular days a week has proven to be just effective for readership, so I'm going to see how it works for me.

Jody Hedlund switched to three days a week when she got her book deal and it hasn't changed my opinion of her blog--she has three great posts a week that I look forward to. It also gives people time to catch up. It's hard for anyone to stop by the same blog every day of the week.

Now, if I can just keep myself from posting on my off days, lol. I really love blogging.

Lt. Cccyxx said...

I can't wait for fall (weather), either. I've been blogging three days a week for a little while now and it seems pretty doable. I've long wondered/marveled at your ability to post so much, so consistently. But if it comes at the cost of your other writing, it's probably not worth it.

Sierra, Roni, and others: if the blogging muse strikes me on my off days, I write the posts but just stockpile them (unless they are somehow time sensitive) for times when I'm really busy or have a dearth of ideas. It all evens out in the end!

demery bader-saye said...

I enjoy reading your blog every day! But, as a blogger myself, I understand how story writing time gets lost. So I'll take your great writing whenever I can get it :)

Tahereh said...

ahh yes. i understand your dilemma. i've been battling with it myself.

best of luck with everything -- we'll miss you :D

Clarissa Draper said...

A lot of people are slowing down and that's all right. Have a great fall!

CD

Anne R. Allen said...

I'm glad you've made the decision to join the slow bloggers and save a little more of yourself for creative writing (and whippersnappers.)We'll survive on three posts a week. (I'm glad you're keeping the Friday round-up!)

Hey, Tarereh, if even the Querypolitan Queen herself is feeling overwhelmed, I think we can all afford to put on the brakes a little. (LOVE Tarereh's very funny blog and her hilarious Querypolitan site. This woman has a great future in the comedy business.)

Looking forward to an occasional post is better than feeling overwhelmed with too much to read--so slow blogging is great for readers as well as writers.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Guys, thanks for the support, it means a lot--especially that you'll miss the daily posting. But I hope my posts will be better and more thoughtful with more time to develop, too.

Viva fall!

Nicole MacDonald said...

I agree with the idea, am considering it myself (till something occurs to me and I can't help myself ;p) and I'd love to see pics of your wee Dino *grin*

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Meghan Ward said...

Three days a week is still a LOT so don't feel like you're cutting down that much. I'm going to stick with once a week and see how that goes. So far I'm likin' it!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue together with your web site in web explorer, might test this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a huge part of other people will pass over your great writing due to this problem.

Stop by my web site - cheapest health insurance

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.