Monday, August 16, 2010

The Sandwich Story

Mr. Sierra enjoys sandwiches. A lot. Luckily, he is not one of those annoying men who think "Would you like a sandwich?" is the sexiest thing a woman can say to him.

"I'm glad you're not all about women who bring you sandwiches," I told him recently.

"No," he agreed. "But I do like a sandwich. All I ask is that if you're getting one for yourself, you get one for me, too."

"Of course," I said.

"You didn't once. I remember exactly when it was. Three years ago," he said.

I stopped and looked at him. He repeated it. "Three years ago. I still hold it against you."

"You hold a sandwich against me from three years ago?" I asked.

"Yes. What happened was..." He launched into the story, but I remembered it. What happened was that we had friends in from out of town and we picked up sandwiches from Mr. Sierra's favorite deli for lunch. Mr. Sierra claims that I called him and said we were picking up sandwiches, and that he asked me to pick one up for him, and that I said okay.

I don't remember this. And besides, I was a new mother at the time. Our whippersnapper was just a few months old. I couldn't be expected to remember sandwich requests. Unfortunately, there was no sandwich waiting for Mr. Sierra when he got home. Worse, he'd been slavering over the idea of a sandwich waiting for him at home all day, apparently.

"I can't believe you hold a sandwich against me from three years ago," I said when he was finished ranting about the injustice.

"I really wanted that sandwich," he said.

I posted the three-year old sandwich grudge on Facebook and it got 50 comments from friends and family. Clearly it had sparked a nerve.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to hold your grudge against me, against you," I said. "You should have at least told me."

Mr. Sierra and I eventually agreed to forget the three-year old sandwich and move on. We're good like that. And that is good, because today is our seventh wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary, Mr. Sierra. We're having sandwiches for dinner tonight. (Or tomorrow night, since I took some frozen salmon out of the freezer last night to thaw, and I wouldn't want it to sit.)

It's silly things like this that make it into stories. It's begging to be written in. The only problem is that it's so silly that it's almost improbable. Who holds sandwiches from three years ago against their wives?

Any inane things like this drive your fiction?

P.S. Mr. Sierra does not normally read this blog. He also does not like being called "Mr. Sierra." However, women who blog generally like to pick cute names for our husbands, and since this blog is mine about me, that is his name.

P.P.S. Did I say Happy Anniversary?

13 comments:

Jessica Lemmon said...

Yes, my hubs is referred to online, (and on twitter) as Mr. Lemmony. But he accepts it, since I have taken our last name and morphed it into a nickname for myself (Lemmon > Lemmony) That must be why he doesn't mind.

Linda G. said...

For some odd reason, my hubs doesn't object to me referring to him as the "theater god" on my blog. Huh. Go figure.

Oh, and I was actually kind of on Mr. Sierra's side in the sandwich debacle until I read about your having an infant at the time. With "infant brain," he's lucky you remembered your address, much less a sandwich. ;)

Roni @ FictionGroupie said...

Happy Anniversary!

And that's a pretty long grudge. I think moms shouldn't be held responsible for anything memory-related in our child's first year of life.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Jessica, I like Lemmony. It works!

Linda, I am SHOCKED you took Mr. Sierra's side. But yes, yes, I am blaming infant brain too. Except that this is the kind of thing I do all the time -- hear something else or forget. Actually, now that I think of it, I have done this mostly since having a baby. So it never really improves.

Roni - or ahem four years....:)

Amalia T. said...

Happy Anniversary!!

I am ashamed to admit it, but I kindofsortof am holding a grudge against my husband over a tomato from uh, more than three years ago... BUT not in an "I'm still mad" way, so much as in a "I still bring it up way." We recently revisited the Tomato incident just a couple weeks ago, in fact!

Jen Stayrook said...

Congrats on 7 years!

I don't mind that you call him Mr. Sierra, because it lets me know who he is. My hubs gets called a number of things, Hubs, Rook, Hey you get me a drink...yea, you get the idea. The men, they get used to it.

I'm also inclined to take Mr. Sierra's side if only for the simple fact that it involves food and it's lunchtime for me, so I can feel his pain. But I think infant brain excuses you from any mental mishaps.

I had a much funnier response originally planned out, but now I'm just hungry, so, you're going to have to settle for this. :-)

Tahereh said...

hahahah awww i love it.

great story. i'm happy the struggle is behind you now ;)

and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! :D

demery bader-saye said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Mr. Sierra! Love the sandwich story :) I'm so glad that he was able to unburden himself of his grudge so that the two of you can move into your sandwich eating future with peace & happiness.

In thinking about what family/friend kinds of things make it into my fiction - it's very often the quirky gestures or sayings of those close to me. Since most of those folks haven't read my stuff yet, not sure how that will go over.

Enjoy your day!

Dr. Goose said...

Found your blog from my cousin's list. I love creative names. I refer to my wife as Daisy, my first born son as Beast, and my second son as Fire. All other characters who are mentioned in my blog get the honor of having nicknames too.

Happy Anniversary!

Tina Lynn said...

Happy Anniversary! And only a man would hold a forgotten sandwich against their wife for three years! Geez!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks guys :) Amalia, you'll have to blog about that tomato.

Jen, thanks -- the thing was, it totally wasn't even lunchtime for Mr. Sierra...but anyway, yes I claim infant brain.

Tahereh: thank you :)

Demery, I love those quirky things...just go with it when it appears in print!

Dr. Goose, thank you for commenting and welcome! And I LOVE Beast and Fire...so awesome. I'll definitely check your blog.

Tina, I KNOW RIGHT!! :)

Meghan Ward said...

Happy anniversary! I'm not a big sandwich person, but I do remember one I had in Sydney that was AMAZING--turkey with cranberry sauce and a glass of fresh squeezed green apple juice on the side. MMMmm.

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the idea of
a user in his/her brain that how a user can understand it.

Thus that's why this piece of writing is amazing. Thanks!

Have a look at my web site - diet that works

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.