Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wednesday Word: Entitled

All over the tinterweb, I see sentences like this:

In a post, entitled "How to perform self-trepanation," Dr. Grody discusses his methods for drilling into his skull with only minimal blood spillage."

Or something similar.

The use of "entitled" here is incorrect. The post is titled, not entitled! Goodness me, Dr. Grody is entitled to do whatever he wants to his skull, but he sure as death and taxes isn't entitling his post anything.

This is correct: You are entitled to use grammar like a dog's chew toy, but you won't be respected for it.

Here are the correct ways to use entitled:
  • One has a right or claim to something
  • Give a title to something, but does not refer to the title itself. This is important because it's where all the confusion arises. Observe: Dr. Grody entitled his post four minutes after writing it.
  • Confer a title on a person. Example: "The Queen entitled Sierra Godfrey to all of the privileges that accompany fabulous people of her caliber."
Hope this helps. This is one of those tricky words that sneak up on you when you're tired and not looking. Beat it back with a baseball bat! Tell it you know the difference!

9 comments:

Mia said...

I like entitled as a word, it generally means I'm allowed to have something.

:)

Penelope said...

Hi! I really liked this post! I retweeted it as well. :)

Mia said...

ALSO.

*tackle hugs*

Have a FABULOUS wednesday.

Sugar said...

I'm entitled to do what ever I wish! lol

I never noticed things like that before, now it's going to bother me when I see it :)

Amalia T. said...

Those tricky prefix like bits at the front of words, changing the meaning of things! HOW DARE THEY!

Tawna Fenske said...

So I'm not entitled to entitle my posts however I want? Dammit.

Tawna

Jm Diaz said...

I confess... I've been guilty of this in the past. And it usually isn't until the second-round read that I notice. I apoligize to all of you I have offended by my gross misuse. Please, please, find it in your black, withering hearts to forgive me.

If not, I am entitled to use other words when we meet next.

demery bader-saye said...

good clarification!

Meghan Ward said...

This is a major pet peeve for me. I'm so glad you brought it up! For some reason, people seem to think "entitled" sounds more formal than "titled."

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.