Monday, September 6, 2010

Acknowledgements and Other Wishes

Hi guys! Happy Labor Day. In addition to today's post, Roni at Fiction Groupie has graciously invited me to guest blog today-- so please go read my post over at her blog!


Remember when you were at your very beginning stage as a writer and hadn't yet learned about the publishing industry? If you were at all like me, seven-figure advances and six-book deals danced in your eyes, and your biggest imagined obstacle to fulfilling your book contract was thinking of enough ideas to fill six books (although, of course, you'd be writing many more than six--after all, you had a NYT bestseller position to hold!).

After reality set in and expectations adjusted accordingly, you might have dreamed of simple things: book-signing parties with four different kinds of goat cheese and bread and other nibbly things, or maybe being interviewed in your local paper, or maybe telling the guy at work who takes every opportunity to "edit" your writing that yes, actually, you've published a book, so there.

My simpler dream is writing my acknowledgments section. This is the place to thank everyone who helped you get where you are (a published author), and if you're like me, that's a long list. There's all kinds of things to dream about this section: should I write it like an awards acceptance speech? Gimmicky and cute, saw it done once. Should I list all the relatives who helped along the way in addition to everyone who ever gave me feedback? Oh, and then there's the dedication. I'm fairly sure Mr. Sierra will get my first book's dedication. But subsequent books? Good thing I have lots of ideas in me, because I have a list of people to dedicate books to.

What do you dream about after becoming a published author?


Don't forget to read my post at Fiction Groupie--so there won't be any crickets chirping on Roni's blog!


Image credit: "Always Dreaming" by B1D1.

7 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Funny, I spent a lot of yesterday thinking through acknowledgements myself! It's not time yet to write them, but I'm re-reading a lot of others' to get a sense of what to include.

I'm also keeping notes on people who've helped along the way.

demery bader-saye said...

When my family moved from PA to TX last summer - it was the most stressful time of my life - we drove. Close to four days in a minivan with our three little boys and a dog. On my ipod was the whole Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. The kids were watching movies and playing their little hand held games. My husband was plugged into his ipod listening to podcasts from various public radio shows (which I enjoy too). But Sophie told me stories all the way to Texas... I got to laugh and escape into her world, which I needed so much. For the next year I kept her books on my ipod and plugged them in when life got rough settling in here. That's what I dream of. Just having a reader (who's not a friend or related to me) tell me that my book(s) took them out of a stressful place for a little while, or brought them joy, or made them feel less alone. Thanks for your post! Great post on Roni's page too!

Tawna Fenske said...

You know what's funny? The third item on today's to-do list is writing the acknowledgments section for my first published book (the one that hits shelves next summer). Even though I feel like I've done it a million times in my head, I have no idea what I'm going to write now that I really have to do it.

Tawna

Lindsey Renee Rose said...

Quitting my day job. That's really all I care about. If I can make a living, however precarious, I will be happy!!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Caroline and Tawna, how fun. I think it's momentous when you actually get to do it...take a moment and be very very proud of yourself!

Demery, just having a reader--that is a GREAT dream. I love it.

Lindsey, Hi! I have to agree, quitting my day job is one of my dreams too, for SURE.

Meghan Ward said...

I think it was Nathan who did a post a while back about acknowledgments and what should go in them. I dread writing my acknowledgments section because I think everyone I know and their cat has read parts of my ms at some point. As for dreams - I have a lot of post-publishing dreams: holding the book in my hand, seeing it in a bookstore, getting my first check, etc. etc.

Linda Leszczuk said...

Mine has always been walking into my favorite bookstore and seeing my book on the shelf. And maybe having a chance to point it out to someone. Now I just need to get published before ebooks take over completely.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.