Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday Word: Prurient

I really have to say, I hate it when I don't know what a word means. Inevitably I spiral into a swirl of worry and self questioning and wonder if I would have had the presence of mind to pull it out and use it if I did know what the word meant. Partly, this is because I don't use $10 words in everyday speech. I hope it's not because my brain is the size of a tiny peanut. It's phenomenally embarrassing because I'm a writer and I'm supposed to be able to select words, whether simple or complex, like a book off a familiar library shelf. Then I worry about age, and then I worry about how maybe having kids has led me to lose my mind, etc.

I heard the word prurient the other day, and thought that if it had been me, I probably wouldn't have thought to use the word prurient, but that's because I wasn't entirely sure what it meant. (Hence its excellent candidacy for a Wednesday Word.) Prurient means having to do with arousing or interesting sexual desire. Probably, it's most familiar when coupled with "thoughts." (Did you see what I did just there? I said "coupled." This is very prurient of me, tee hee!) Prurient needn't be nasty, but it certainly implies references of a sexual kind.

Did you know this word? Could you have pulled it out (pulled it out, tee hee!) and used it in conversation? Could you have nailed the definition? (nailed -- hee hee!) Come on (come, snicker!), leave a comment!

P.S. If the picture amuses your prurient mind, then Failblog has many more like them under the tag "Things that are doing it."

6 comments:

Lt. Cccyxx said...

This is one of those words I had a vague idea about but might have confused it with its opposite ("prudish"). So if you'd had your way with me and forced me to define it, I'd be screwed.

Demery said...

You are too funny!

I wouldn't have been able to tell you the definition of the word before reading your post either. Which means that either we've both got peanuts for brains and are getting old OR (and I like this option better) there are so many words out there that even very bright writing types like ourselves need the aid of a dictionary sometimes. :) Thanks for the word & for the laugh!

Simon C. Larter said...

You have mortally offended me with all your double entendres. Since I never, ever write prurient material, and definitely WON'T be posting a vaguely prurient scene on my blog this coming Monday, I'm shocked that you would be so crass. Shocked, I say!

*cough*

Linda Leszczuk said...

Oh, my. (titter titter) Such language. Great Aunt Mildred would never aprove.

Travener said...

I have long known and celebrated the word prurient, though it's kind of hard (ha ha) to pronounce.

Sierra Godfrey said...

I love it, thanks for getting into the spirit of the word, guys! ("getting into," tee hee!)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.