Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday Word: Sinecure

This week's word is definitely one I didn't know before, but one that I heartily wish applied to me. Sinecure, a beautiful word that is pronounced sin-e-kyur, refers to an office or position that requires little or no work, but provides a salary. That providing a salary bit is the best part, obviously. Sure, we probably all know people who seem to hold sinecure positions. It needn't be a bad thing, though (especially were it to apply to me, I assure you!). Although someone who doesn't earn their money is theoretically offensive, there are positions that might warrant such a thing like advisory positions, or positions where you stay involved by name because you're a super smarty pants.

Yeah, I know, I'm pretty far removed from such things.

But nevertheless, I have a list of things I'd do if I had a sinecure position with income and no work:
  • Travel to Europe regularly, especially Edinburgh to see the Hibs play
  • Write
  • Go to the zoo
  • Go out and have coffee at 10 am
  • Make unintelligible art projects in my backyard out of putty and sticks
  • Finally carry out plans to defeat my nemesis
  • Read, read, read
  • Visit my grandmother a lot more
  • Play with the whippersnapper
  • Perfect my score in MarioKart Wii
  • Become a master gardener
What kinds of things would you do if you had a sinecure position? And let's not pretend that you have one already because you write, or I shall be exceedingly envious and wrathful.

8 comments:

Linda G. said...

Wow! Now I know what my new job aspiration is. ;)

Let's see...if I had a sinecure position, I'd travel a lot more. And eat at nicer restaurants. Probably pay someone else to clean the toilets, etc.

Lt. Cccyxx said...

Write! Lots of travel and hiking. Professional gym-rat. Read more books. Experimental cooking. Home school my (as yet nonexistent) kids.

Anne R. Allen said...

Putty and sticks, huh? I have neighbor who does art projects like that. Maybe you should stick to defeating your nemesis...

I was in a critique group years ago with a woman whose novel was called "the Sinecure" I never knew what it meant. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Simon C. Larter said...

If you were suddenly made heir to Bill Gates's fortune and given a sinecure as chief taster for the Cake Boss, you'd still fail to defeat me. I'm indestructible. Also, I already have a sinecure position. You may now be envious and wrathful.

demery bader-saye said...

Does sound so nice... maybe we could create a sinecure company paid for by sponsors and daily clicks?

I'd write, travel with my family, do the spa thing, let's see -- okay, every day, and - to shoo away the guilt of the spa thing - volunteer for a worthy cause.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks for all the comments, I love it. I think we're all agreed on the more writing time!

Nemesis, I will never be envious of you, as it is in the Nemesis Guidebook, section 3.3.3 paragraph G that only YOU are envious of ME. Wrathful...that I can do.

Travener said...

You'd only go out for coffee once a day? What the hell kind of sinecure is that? Mine takes place in a Starbucks.

Meghan Ward said...

I think you have to be AT your job, though, not in your garden or in Europe. Well, maybe not for an advisory position, but I always thought of a sinecure as a real job. I would read and write, read and write some more. Do my taxes, organize my photos. I know that's really boring, but I'm picturing myself stuck in an office all day with nothing to do. As for the zoo, I'm going today!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.