Monday, October 25, 2010

How Chuck Norris Got Me Cupcakes

…And other lessons on social media.

One thing I really passionately believe about social media is that it’s social. That means you interact and engage with people. Twitter, Facebook, blogs, LinkedIn…they’re not for soapboxing or for pushing or for advertising. They’re for talking with others. I truly believe that some of the biggest strides into my writing growth have been made via connections I made through blogging and Twitter. I’ve made great friends. I’ve gotten attention. And I’ve gotten cupcakes.

TH Mafi, or Tahereh, knows how to use Twitter for interaction with others very, very well. Last week, she tweeted a link to Crumbs, a national cupcake shop. Crumbs has great marketing—excellent logo, packaging, and a dynamite web site that clearly shows its creations in all their glory. Best of all, you can create six packs of cupcake yumminess and have them shipped to people. So Tahereh makes us ALL drool over these cupcakes, and then throws out the offer of sending a 6 pack of cupcakes to whomever tells her the best joke. The cheesier the better, she tweets.

Oh, it was on.

Now, as many of you know, my brain has not been operating at peak capacity lately. I am officially scatterbrained and definitely have a hard time thinking—not just on demand, but any time. So I tweeted the stupidest possible joke to Tahereh ever, and sat back. Naturally, it was disgusting and unfunny. Minutes ticked by, and then I see her tweeting her top two favorite jokes—neither authored by moi. (The humanity!) So I tweeted this: >:(

Which can roughly be translated as:


Tahereh thought that was hi-LAR-ious. I tried one more joke: Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn't much, but the reception was excellent. Then Tahereh tweeted that she’s a sucker for Chuck Norris jokes.

Being resourceful, I scoured my mind and came up with what I could, and asked the tinterwebs to supply what I couldn’t. Ohhh, don’t be scoffing at me. Don’t think I didn’t Google “Cheesy jokes” too and saw the EXACT SAME ONES that were front running winners. OH yeah, I had their number, all right! All I’m saying is that it was a combination of my untiring and spectacularly stupendous wit and also Google that came up with the Chuck Norris jokes. And, yes, I mined them to select only the funniest—funniest to me, that is.

Turns out, Tahereh thought they were funny too, and I won the cupcakes. It was a glorious, fabulous moment and illustrated both how quick and artful Twitter is, and how well it can be used to futher conversations and laughter, no matter what the premise. You see, Tahereh gets my sense of humor, and I suspect it wasn’t just the Chuck Norris jokes. No, it probably was my overall interaction with her, and the frowny face at the start that did it. We made each other laugh.

And let me tell you, the cupcakes were freaking delicious.



I ordered: pumpkin, apple cobbler, half-baked, s’mores, cookies and cream, and grasshopper.
Go here for a full cupcake review.

And the winning Chuck Norris jokes?

  • Chuck Norris CAN believe it’s not butter
  • When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.
  • There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures Chuck Norris allows to live.
  • Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
  • If you have $3, and Chuck Norris has $3, Chuck Norris has more.
  • Chuck Norris once kicked a horse in the chin. Its descendants are known today as giraffes.
  • Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.
  • When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

So my point is this: use Twitter, blogging, or whatever form of social media you like to interact, share, laugh, and inspire others. That’s what it’s there for, and I know I’m much richer for it –the currency being laughter, support, and cupcakes.

15 comments:

JPwritesi said...

I knew it. But Waldo can't last, one day Chuck will find him....then its goodbye pom pom hat boy....

Linda G. said...

Would those be the cupcakes you are unwilling to share? Huh. Congratulations anyway. ;)

Roni Loren said...

LOL, love Chuck Norris jokes (and those "most interesting man in the world" commercials which are in the same vein.)

My fave Chuck Norris:
They once tried to make Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take crap from anyone.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Any jokes involving that huge mustache??

Travener said...

Well, goody on the cupcakes (yum) and the Chuck (dumb). That's all the wit and wisdom I have today, I'm afraid.

Sierra Godfrey said...

JP- Chuck finds everyone.

Linda, yes indeed, the very same that I won't share. :)

Roni-- OK that was a great one!

Caroline -- I'm going to assume you weren't talking about MY mustache, right?? Right?? Right??

Trav- hey, commenting is enough :)

Tina Lynn said...

I love the evolution one! OMG! Nice!

Anne R. Allen said...

Thanks for the laughs and congrats on the cupcakes!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

:)

Tahereh said...

hee hee heeeeeeeee

:D

KLM said...

Is there no end to your cupcake whoring?

Sierra Godfrey said...

Tina, thanks hee hee

Anne, thanks!

Caroline, your reply has not inspired confidence that I don't have a mustache!

Tahereh, thanks again

Kristen, apparently not. Although if there were an end surely this would be it. But one of my mottos (stolen from Michael Jackson I'm afraid) is "Don't stop til you get enough" and my other motto is (stolen from Ferris Bueller) "You can never go too far." So basically what I'm saying is, I'm a thief.

Laraine Eddington said...

Laughs and cupcakes...a very good post.

Simon C. Larter said...

I like Chuck Norris jokes too. But that's probably the only thing we agree on, nemesis. Well, I suppose we both agree that your destruction is assured, but you're not admitting to it yet. I give it a couple weeks.

>:)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thank you, Laraine!

Nemesis, when Chuck Norris hears about my plans for your downfall, he shivers with fear!!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.