Friday, November 5, 2010

Google Reader Roundup

First off: a bit of business to take care of. Thanks to everyone who contributed to the Tootsie Pop discussion on Wednesday. The winner of a box of Tootsie Pops is......(drum roll)....Terri Anne Stanley! Although I dearly loved all the stories, Terri Anne's roller skate girl who lived upstairs was too great to withstand. Terri Anne, congrats! Please email me (address at right in sidebar) with your address and I shall dispatch the Pops forthwith.

Now.

  • Nano dos and don'ts, in a very well-written, no-nonsense post by Chuck Wendig. The man is a fabulous and amusing writer--one of those who make you green with envy. I mean, with phrases like "protoplasmic snot-waffle novels" where can you go wrong?
  • Whoa, Kurt Vonnegut! Tell us how you really feel! James Scott bell has a fabulous post on the use of semi colons in fiction, something I am rather free with; I use them with abandon. I've had an affinity for the semi colon that hasn't ebbed over time. Seriously, great post. Probably a must read.
  • Carrie Heim Binas has some choice words for an anti-NaNo article on Salon. Carrie makes excellent points--although I have never done NaNo, I can't agree with her more than it's important to support people who are trying, writing, and sweating their passion. I mean, hello. NaNo is like a marathon or a bike race--people who love doing what they do, coming together to do it together. I see nothing wrng with that.

8 comments:

Linda G. said...

You always come up with such good links! Thanks. :)

Teri Anne Stanley said...

I keep thinking that I have to save the links to all of this stuff so I can go back to it later, but then I'm like, "Oh! I can just come back HERE later, duh!"
Anxiously awaiting my Tootsie Pops because I bought stupid Dum Dums for Halloween and my dirty rotten kids already ate all 500 that I had left over. And left sticks and wrappers everywhere.

Lt. Cccyxx said...

Thanks, Sierra, and congrats, Terri Anne.

I liked the overall gist of the comments on Jessica Faust's post.

I would never do NaNoWriMo myself, but I'm of two minds about it, especially because it winds up affecting the rest of us who are querying. You know what I mean? I don't like how crowded the gym is in January, either, even as I'm happy so many people made New Year's Resolutions to be healthier.

Roni Loren said...

Great roundup! I missed a lot of these, so lots to go read. :)

And I love the semicolon post! I totally got knocked in a contest for not putting semicolons in my dialogue. I was so annoyed. First of all, you NEVER see semicolons in dialogue, and secondly, well ugh, see the first one. The joy of contests. I now feel vindicated. So dear judge who told me to take a class on semicolon use, :p to you.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks Linda for your unfailing cheer on my Roundup--it always makes my Friday :)

Teri- Congrats! I hope you hide your Tootsie Pops from your kids -- dirty sticks and wrappers is so not on.

Lt. You're right that NaNo affects the rest of us querying. It's interesting. I have worried about it myself. What are your reasons for never doing it?

Roni - I cannot believe someone told you to TAKE A CLASS in semicolon use; that is appalling. I personally love them but after reading that post I have come to agree they probably don't belong in fiction. And you're right that you rarely see them.

coffeelvnmom said...

Oh wow, I RT'd this before reading the whole thing (so I wouldn't forget to do it) and didn't realize you'd mentioned my blog too! ;) Thanks =)

Anne R. Allen said...

I'm with you; I love the semicolon. But I try to use em dashes instead for the colon-phobic. I guess they are friendlier.

And thanks for being a friend and giving my post on the writer's enemy list a shout-out.

Visitors are way down at my blog since NaNo started. Are other bloggers seeing that? I guess that's what I get for encouraging everybody to try it. Carrie is so right. It's like any other marathon--just because you don't want to participate yourself is no reason not to give lots of encouragement to the brave souls who do!

Lt. Cccyxx said...

More power to the NaNoWriMoers, but in answer to your question, Sierra, I'd never do it because:

a) I don't work that way. I need to do a lot of planning before I start writing, and then I need to frequently break from writing to do more planning. Also, I like to mix writing and editing rather than get a first draft out as quickly as possible.

b) There is just no way I could find that kind of time for a single month unless I just put everything else on hold. I'd rather make writing a more sustained, and sustainable, thing I do.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.