Friday, November 26, 2010

Google Reader Roundup

Happy post-Thanksgiving Roundup, loverlies! I had a lovely Thanksgiving, stuffing my face full of every thing I could to the point where I was unable to tell what was food and what was baby. Luckily my stomach is getting so big that a big bloated tummy is nearly indistinguishable from Cletus the Fetus, so I was able to get away with pretending I was merely pregnant, when in fact I was carrying at least a 9 pound Food Baby as well.

I always make cranberry sauce and roasted-garlic mashed potatoes every year. This year, I used Barefoot Contessa's cranberry fruit compote recipe (yes, that very one) and it was GREAT. For the mashed potatoes, I roast garlic ahead of time (cut 1/2 inch off the heads so the garlic is exposed, drizzle with olive oil, bake in a 425 oven for 55 minutes and then mash the garlic once it cools). Then I followed this awesome Williams Sonoma recipe for buttermilk chive potatoes and let me tell you: best mashed potatoes I've ever made. (Oh yeah, and add in the mashed roasted garlic before you add in the chives.)

Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Please know that I am super thankful that you all read my blog--every time I get a comment it makes me smile, and I just love you guys. Also I am thankful that I don't have a partially-formed dead conjoined twin growing out of my neck, or a disfiguring disease, or colon cancer that would require a colostomy bag (awful), or other horrid hardships. Instead, I have a great job, health insurance, my house is not being foreclosed on, I have a really saintly husband who puts up with me, a very very sweet darling boy, and another whipsnap on the way. And I am so excited and thankful that I get to write.

I said this already above, but I'll just say it again: I am thankful for you, my blog readers, who gratify my ramblings and validate my thoughts.

Now:

  • Roni Loren, who was on fire this week, discusses overwriting, and then helpfully describes how not to do it.
  • Jane Friedman's query series continues with post 8 with query letter red flags, and post 9 with actual full queries critiqued.

4 comments:

Linda G. said...

LOL! I fear I'm going to be haunted by that partially formed conjoined twin post for decades to come. ;)

I also fear I'm going to still feel stuffed until the middle of next week--I ate that much at my in-laws' house yesterday. And I can't ever hide behind a pregnant belly (er, for which I am truly grateful, at this point in my life).

Thanks for another great roundup! :)

Roni Loren said...

Glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. It's definitely one of the few conveniences of pregnancy to be able to not stress about a pot belly. :)

And I hit the list twice this week, thanks! I'll have to give my blogging monkey extra treats for writing decent posts this week. ;)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks guys...Linda, I don't see it as haunted, I see it as "favored" :)

Roni -- we all know you sold your soul to the devil for blogging success :)

Anne R. Allen said...

Ooooh those garlic mashed potatoes sound good.

Thanks for the mention of my James Frey article (both James Freys) and the other great links. I'm bookmarking Jane Friedman's query series. It's a must-read for all writers who are looking for agents. In-depth and wise.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.