I always make cranberry sauce and roasted-garlic mashed potatoes every year. This year, I used Barefoot Contessa's cranberry fruit compote recipe (yes, that very one) and it was GREAT. For the mashed potatoes, I roast garlic ahead of time (cut 1/2 inch off the heads so the garlic is exposed, drizzle with olive oil, bake in a 425 oven for 55 minutes and then mash the garlic once it cools). Then I followed this awesome Williams Sonoma recipe for buttermilk chive potatoes and let me tell you: best mashed potatoes I've ever made. (Oh yeah, and add in the mashed roasted garlic before you add in the chives.)
Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Please know that I am super thankful that you all read my blog--every time I get a comment it makes me smile, and I just love you guys. Also I am thankful that I don't have a partially-formed dead conjoined twin growing out of my neck, or a disfiguring disease, or colon cancer that would require a colostomy bag (awful), or other horrid hardships. Instead, I have a great job, health insurance, my house is not being foreclosed on, I have a really saintly husband who puts up with me, a very very sweet darling boy, and another whipsnap on the way. And I am so excited and thankful that I get to write.
I said this already above, but I'll just say it again: I am thankful for you, my blog readers, who gratify my ramblings and validate my thoughts.
- First off via Janet Reid, this absolutely stunning video of Scottish stunt biker Danny MacAskill's journey from Edinburgh to the Isle of Skye. The biking isn't bad either :)
- Author Mary Carol Moore talks about the place rejection has in artists' lives. I'd prefer it has no place, but it does and Mary gives us some sensitive thoughts about it.
- Roni Loren asks if you would buy a self-pubbed book? A great discussion with a successful self pubbed author weighing in in the comments.
- The Huff Po has the 10 most beautiful libraries in the world. Yes, Chicago is on there.
- This week James Frey ruffled feathers by being a stinkface. Here's Anne Allen's thoughtful wrap up.
- Roni Loren, who was on fire this week, discusses overwriting, and then helpfully describes how not to do it.
- Agent Caren Estesen talks about writing classes we should take, and lists a few resoruces.