Monday, June 20, 2011

Parenting Trick for Writers #1

With summer coming, those of you who are parents with kids who are not in year-round school suddenly have lots of kid on your hands. And because you are likely a writer or creative type if you're reading this, that means less time for you to write in your accustomed solitary fashion without someone whining and demanding snacks every half hour. (I am talking about your kids, here, not you.)

But I have solutions, ones that will occupy or creatively satiate your kids so that you can retreat to your cave and write more.

It's this fantastic set of measuring cups shaped like babushkas (or, matryoshkas as they are called on the box), called M-Cups. These awesome measuring cups are perfect for kids to play with and measure with and help bake yummy sugary snacks with you, which as we all know is what keeps writers going. What's not to love about these measuring cups? Baking with your kids is one of the best things you can possibly do because it teaches little kids cause and effect and mixing and amounts, and it allows you and big kids to bond, and it results in lovely foodstuffs. It's a win-win situation.

These are made by Fred & Friends and here they are on Amazon. Also, if you search on Amazon for Fred & Friends, they have a ton more awesome products like this 2-carat ring cup and these pick your nose paper cups.

Contest!
To go with your new M-Cups measuring cups, or whatever, and because I love you so much, I am going to award two lucky beasts the recipe to my fabulous chocolate chip cookie recipe. My uncle, whose nickname is Cook, short for Cookie, and with good reason since he is quite the cookie connoisseur (I swear I'm not making it up about his name), even agrees my chocolate chip cookies are some of the best ever. What you have to do is go follow my new blog on design and usability, called Don't Leave Me This Way. That's a reference to the awesome song (I prefer the Jimmy Somerville/Communards version, I mean really what's not to love about Jimmy Somerville?) and also a reference to all the bad design out there that blows our heads up and could so easily be fixed. On that blog, I post about design issues and how you can solve them-- be it on a web site, customer service, or elsewise.

Anyway, go sign up as a follower on that blog between now, Monday, June 20, 2011, and Friday, June 24, 2011, and I'll award two random followers my lovely chocolate chip cookie recipe in a pretty PDF. Winners will be announced here on Monday, June 27.


Important note: I have not been approached by Fred & Friends nor have I been sent for free these M-Cups, no, I bought some myself for my whippersnapper and loved them and thought I would blog about them. But no, I have not been given them for free or am otherwise being paid for this post. Although Fred & Friends is more than welcome to email me (sierra [at] sierragodfrey.com) and we can discuss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.