Monday, July 18, 2011

Penguin Book Covers

Oh, gollys. You know how much I love both design and writing. So imagine how happy I was when I saw this new book: Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)

This is a just-released book (as in, July 6, 2011) that celebrates Penguin's 75th anniversary with a discussion of 75 covers that "that represent the best of what Penguin has produced over the course of the last decade." (Read: may not be the most intriguing cover design, but probably has a good story behind it.)

Got me thinking about great book covers. I've mentioned before how much I love this edition of The Portable Dorthy Parker (published, perhaps not uncoincidentally, by Penguin). In fact, I actually bought this particular one because of the cover. It's heavy, matte paper stock which already I love, but it has amusing cartoons in the inner flaps. It smells good, too. If ever there was a reason to buy paper vs. electronic, this is it.


I'm also a sucker for any letterpress covers. Letterpress printing is where the letters are pressed into the paper to create a raised feel. This is often paired with beautiful paper, like thick, sumptuous water color paper, which also has a wonderful texture. And smells good. Here's an example from a San Francisco letterpress printer.

Were you ever struck by a book cover? (As in, in love, not as in the book cover actually struck you. If it did strike you, I would suggest that you get rid of the book. It's possessed, and situations like that never turn out well, it is well known. Hey, did you ever see that TV show back in the 90s about a girl and guy cousin team who had to track down all of these cursed items that their crazy uncle sold out of a shop that he'd gotten in a deal with the devil? That was a great show. What the heck was that? I used to watch it all the time.)

Anyway, tell me which book cover!

(This post is cross-posted over at Don't Leave Me This Way, my design and web usability blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.