Monday, September 5, 2011

That Place You Go

About 15 years ago, I lived in a place that had really gorgeous walking trails. The development was built up against Federally protected wildlife areas and gorgeous hills and open space for miles around surrounded a residential community. It was essentially a massive cul-de-sac, with no through passage.

I absolutely loved my walks there. I did about a 3.5 mile loop with some nice hills built in. This is it, pictured at right. Always I felt restored by the hills and blue, blue sky. Always I got a high from the endorphins of a good hard walk. I planned my future on these walks, I worked through issues, I thought about life, love, and who I was. These walks were my religion, and maybe it was no coincidence that I also did a lot of thinking about God and what God is and means to me on those walks.

I moved away from that area for good six years ago, but I'm only about a 15 minute freeway ride away. I go back. I haven't been back in the six years I've lived away until recently. After I had Rainbow Puppy, I started going back to walk off the maternity poundage.

It's still the most gorgeous walk I've ever had. I know this is weird since it's through what is essentially a tract housing estate, but the houses are really nice and most of the loop is actual trail. Anyway, on a recent walk I was surprised that I keep coming back to that walk and that area all these years later. It really does something for me (besides providing quiet time in which to plan my world domination). Nowadays, large swaths of the walk are devoted to thinking up stories and working out the kinks in my plots.

I'm really lucky to have this place and I'm guessing no matter where I live, I'll keep coming back to it.

What about you? Do you have a great thinking spot where you can just be, and work stuff out, and most important, let your mind relax so it can tell awesome stories? Leave a comment and tell me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.