Monday, December 19, 2011

Some holiday season whimsy

Really?
Sometime when I wasn't looking, Restoration Hardware --that store full of nice, "old" looking and generally heavy objets, overhauled itself into a "job creator" supplier of high end furniture and accoutrements. I shall explain. Remember when they sold fun little stocking stuffers like hand warmers and whoopee cushions? Remember when their stuff was really nice and you might even find yourself affording some of it, here and there?

The other day I heard a thunk on the doorstep and looked outside to see the mailman scurrying away. Rubbing my hands in anticipatory glee over an unexpected package--was it someone sending an early Christmas gift? A belated birthday present? A forgotten online order? From the sound of it, it was books. Lots of them. In hardback.

When I opened the door, I found a 1.5 inch thick Restoration Hardware catalog, so big that it wouldn't fit through our mail slot (which generally takes small packages). "Fall 2011 Sourcebook" it called itself, rather pretentiously, as though I would be inspired by all their room setups. This monochromatic catalog had articles, but by people I don't know, and on topics I don't care about. But the second page too my breath away.

INTRODUCING
BIRDCAGE CHANDELIERS

I laughed. Honestly, bird cage chandeliers? Hung from 3-inch thick weathered marine rope? But they were--huge massive cockatiel cages trapping a pretty chandelier. For just $2195 for a small one, and only $2995 for the extra large.

So listen. If you're finding yourself stressed this holiday season, or stuck in your writing, take a moment to celebrate that some people are completely insane--both the company that sells birdcage chandeliers for $2995 and the people that buy them. (Of course, apologies if you are one of them.)

What's the most ridiculous thing you've seen for sale this season?



5 comments:

Diane Henders said...

You know, just the other day, I was thinking, "Man, I need a birdcage for my chandelier. It keeps trying to fly away... Wait a minute, what was IN those brownies?!?"

And hey, $2995, BARGAIN! *snort*

But perhaps I don't have the proper reverent attitude toward home furnishings.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Right Diane, those things do fly. Exactly!

I must share your improper attitude toward home furnishings. Because I don't get it at all.

Kristen Lippert-Martin said...

Yeah! What the heck happened to Restoration Hardware? I used to go there to get old-fashioned retro Christmas ornaments shaped like robots and soap on a freakin' rope and the occasional hinge. It was all so self-consciously kitschy and fun. Then I walked by the place several months ago and it looked like Goth Tuscany in there.

Who's idea was that, RH? Whoever thought you needed a total style overhaul should be fired! Fired, I say!

Sierra Godfrey said...

Agree completely, KLM, but then you knew I would.

Travener said...

There's no reason birds can't live in style.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.