Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Books I read this year


This week there have been loads of very thoughtful posts in the writerly blogosphere, like Meghan Ward's 8 ways to help someone or....well, I'm sure there were more. Like serious, proper posts.

In keeping with the usual traditional of this blog, this post isn't one of those.

Instead, I thought I'd talk yet again about myself. (You know, in keeping with tradition.) So this will be about the books I've read this year, which Goodreads makes it easy to report using their stats tool. (I love Goodreads because I would never remember what I'd read otherwise.) Because I gave birth to my second baby, Rainbow Puppy, my reading was augmented by many nights in the nursing chair--a huge bonus in my book--but still Goodreads said I've read a mere 25 books this year --and I read 25 books in 2010 too. This was greatly disappointing, as I like to complete with myself. At least I didn't do a books-I-read-in-2010-post, so I'm still winning against myself. (I'm kind of a super lame Charlie Sheen.)

So here are some of the books I particularly enjoyed this year:

  • This Burns My Heart by Samuel Park
  • The entire Game of Thrones series (or more accurately Song of Fire and Ice)
  • One Day by David Nicholls
  • The Hunger Games trilogy
  • Skipping a Beat by Sarak Pekkanen
  • The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen 
  • Jumpstart the World by Catherine Ryan Hyde (I specifically read this because there was such outcry against it, so I was pleased to support the book--plus it was fabulous)
  • Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
  • Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy
  • When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
  • The Distant Hours by Kate Morton
  • Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill
  • The three Save the Cat books by Blake Snyder (I so need to do a post about these, seriously)
I'm currently reading The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown, which is fabulous. So I'm going to hurry up and finish it so I can be at 26 books, thereby totally smashing my last-year-self into the ground, ha HA! 

What book or books have you read this year that you loved? Let me know so I can add it to my list!



11 comments:

Paige Kellerman said...

You're like me; I was just looking at my Goodreads list, thinking, "I know I read more than that!" But, I think having kids AND getting anything read is an accomplishment..lol. Of your list, I read the Huger Games trilogy and, of course loved every second of it. Another trilogy I started this year is the Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Claire. The third book doesn't come out until 2012, but the first two are pretty darn good. Another of my favorites was The Help. Thanks for the suggestions, Sierra...:) Here's to doubling our reading in-take in 2012!

MJones said...

I was going to do a post on this. I still AM!!

Linda G. said...

You're way ahead of me!

I adored LITTLE GALE GUMBO, by Erika Marks. It's an absolutely yummy read. :)

Lt. Cccyxx said...

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. What a narrative voice.

Travener said...

I read quite a few books this year, but not a single one that knocked my socks off. Isn't that sad?

Diane Henders said...

I spent my entire year editing day and night before my books were released, so I read practically nothing else. Considering I usually go through 40 - 60 books a year, I'm parched with book-thirst!

I'm looking forward to reading a bit more this year, now that I'm down to only one WIP. Your list looks like a great place to start. :-)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Paige, I think I read The Help last year, and really loved it...thanks for the Infernal Devices suggestion, I'll check it out! (And let's go, 2012 reading!)

Melinda, I want to read your post!

Linda, thanks for the suggestion, I'll add that to my list!

Lt, I've heard about Middlesex and thought it sounded good except the title scared me--sounded like a Middlemarch. Shudder!

Trav, that's okay--just leaves room to keep reading and find something good.

Diane, 40-60 is quite amazing! I can't wait to hear what you read when you start in on your regular schedule! (And congrats for getting books out!)

Nina Badzin said...

I've read a lot of those same books. I was OBSESSED with Hunger Games. Really enjoyed ONE DAY and SKIPPING A BEAT too.

The blog looks great by the way. Nina :)

Meghan Ward said...

This post reminds me that I used to post all the books I read each year at the end of the year and at some point stopped doing that, and I have no idea why. But I keep a list of them on my blog. I haven't read Samuel's book yet but am dying to (I'm reading The Tiger's Wife right now and love it and have one more book to finish after that.) Others I loved: Room, In Zanesville, Lost in Shangri-La, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother. My modest goal is to read 2 books/month, and once I finish The Tiger's Mother, I'll have achieved that goal. Wish I had time to read more!

Anne R. Allen said...

What a great list. You inspire me. I read too many mysteries and romances and not enough meaty stuff. Plus I never finish half of them. I do read nearly every story in the New Yorker. Does that count? Loved Jumpstart the World. Great that you gave it a shout-out.

Sverige said...

THE PEACH KEEPER by Sarah Addison Allen is an amazing romance/suspense set in present day Walls of Water,North Carolina.The plot is easy to follow,well written with a touch of magic,a lot of friendship,romance,love and century old secrets. While secrets are buried not only above ground but also below ground.When a skeleton is found buried beneath the century old Blue Ridge Madam property,Willa and Paxton are thrusted together to uncover the truths that has transcended not only time but also the hearts and souls of the living. Friendship grows,and hearts open up as century old secrets are revealed.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.