Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gift Buying Solved

The last two weeks before Christmas generally cause lots of panic in my house as we scramble to fulfill our gift giving obligations. Fear sets in and our eyes go wide like dinner plates as we contemplate the ratio of time, money, and number of gifts still to think up and get. Buying gifts for people is hard. But I have a plan this year. And I thought I'd better share it with you in case you are currently experiencing similar gift-buying paralysis. Below is a list of books I am either giving, or thinking about giving.

General Fiction

This Burns My Heart by Samuel Park. I raved about this book already, and Sam was gracious about giving an interview here. It's a beautiful story and I really enjoyed it. Plus, Sam knows how to write a great opening line. I'm giving this book to a few family members.

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. MAN what a great book. It's about magic, and love, and a totally rad circus that I would love to visit, if it existed. I love this book because I was convinced to buy it through the power of social media, and it it paid off.

The Woodcutter by Reginald Hill
. My mother is totally into this British mystery author so I immediately pooh-poohed him (even though I actually really like British mystery authors, and Scottish detective novelists). That was before I read this book, which was fantastic. Great, fast read about a wrongly convicted man's plan for revenge.


Middle Grade and Teens

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead was just a fantastic, wonderful, and truly delightful read, even for adults. Surprising and fresh, with a lovely time travel twist. It sparked the very first 5 star review series here on the blog.

Treehouses of the World by Pete Nelson. Look, teens are hard to buy for. But when I saw this book I was immediately intrigued. The pictures are fabulous, and who doesn't wish they had or could build an amazing treetop retreat? Recalcitrant teen boy relatives are getting this from me this year. Word to the wise: Amazon sells this for $24.95 but I believe I paid $12.99 at Barnes and Noble (in-store).


Kids

Bad Kitty Christmas by Nick Bruel. I haven't actually read this yet but the title alone assures me I will love it--and so will my 5 year old. It's about, well, a bad kitty at Christmas. I mean, listen to this: "Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the city, not a creature was stirring...Except for BAD KITTY." DONE. Love it!

The Underwater Alphabet Book by Jerry Pallotta. All the alphabet books by author Pallotta are great, but we love this one in particular. It's just fantastic. The art is great and the short text is funny, for both kids and adults. Best of all? When I went to an aquarium with my whippersnapper, he recognized a ton of sea creatures because of this book.

Animal Masks: 15 Punch out Faces. Can't recommend this one enough. We have it and it's a great gift at $12.95. It comes with brightly colored, quite large animal masks you punch out (and keep in a handy folder at the back). Mask elastic is even provided. Best of all? Both the baby and the cats gave quite a start when I put on the fox mask and stared at them.



7 comments:

DL Hammons said...

I've just added THE WOODCUTTER to my list (to receive). :)

Julie Dao said...

Samuel's book and the Night Circus are both on my books-to-read list at Goodreads! Can't wait to check them out.

JEM said...

Great recos! I've been hearing a lot of buzz about The Night Circus, I might have to check it out. I love the cover.

Travener said...

Books? Who cares about books?

Meghan Ward said...

I give books to all my family members every year, too, although my kids want nothing but toys. They have too many books already!

M. Christine Weber said...

I was just browsing Treehouses of the World this week at B&N! Um...can we say FABULOUS? I need to own such a house. Where's a harem of woodworking carpenters when you need 'em? And all I have to say about The Night Circus is that I *might* be planning to gift it to myself. You know, as a "secret santa" type thing. Don't worry though, I'll act surprised.

Thanks for the recommends. ;0)
-m

Sierra Godfrey said...

M. Christine, you are a funny lady. :) Thanks for the comment. Hey, your website is gah-geous.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.