Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blog Spam and How to Spot It


A few weeks ago I talked about how Google rankings can be gamed--which is why it would be inappropriate for an editor or agent or publishing professional to rely solely on such things to determine an author's worth. Today I'm going to show you one of the ways to up a Google ranking--and not in a good way.

If you're a regular blogger, then you've probably gotten your share of spam on your blog--maybe even emailed to you. These are emails disguised as interest in what you do. On my design blog (which is tied to my freelance business), I regularly get comments from spammers like this:

"Admiring the persistence you put into your site and in depth information you provide. It’s good to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same outdated rehashed information. Wonderful read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account. My site is [redacted]."
This is total BS, of course. It's a fake comment intended only to build back links to their site in order to puff up their SEO reports. For the most part, it's easy to recognize spammers because of their consistently poor grasp of grammar and off-topic comments. But spammers are smart enough to know they're slightly stupid. And they've taken measures to address that. Now spammers try to be personal and friendly and trick you into thinking they're really reading when they are not.

When I uninstalled the Intense Debate comment system from my blog---I was really bummed to do this because it meant losing all of your wonderful comments for over a year, but Intense Debate took a dump  and prevented several of you from commenting, and then it prevented me from deleting spam. That was the last straw. So it had to go. The spam that did it was the one from some printing guy that said this on the post about author web sites:

"I am actually thinking of getting my business cards done. It´s essential for Pro bloggers, I should say. Would love to win this. I´m a follower of our blog."

Kay, it's not "our" blog, and there's nothing to win. And note the crazy apostrophes. Then the guy used a different name (but same email address--duh) to post a follow up comment thusly:

"Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. I found your site in google. And I will be back next time, thank you."

Right. Delete. Delete.

This spam disguised as friendliness and compliments is fairly easy to spot. But it gets more insidious, I'm afraid. And here's where I really want to warn you.

I received an email from someone off the blog. This means an actual human stopped, looked around for my contact info, and wrote me this email (even if it's a template email):

Hi,
[extra space that indicates she pasted from a template, redacted]
Just wanted to drop you a note expressing my appreciation for your blog. As a blogger and freelance writer myself, I’m always excited to come across a blog that’s both a pleasurable read and an informative resource. [so far so good, I'm thinking, and even rather flattered.]
[extra spaces redacted]
Although I blog mostly for [redacted], I absolutely love writing guest posts that interest me. I have been reviewing your site and what look like your most popular posts and think I have some twists to those that your readers would like. I’m happy to provide you with content that you can use as you see fit and only ask for link back to my site [redacted] so that the readers can find out more about me and hopefully will subscribe to my blog.

Below you can find some of my recent published Guest posts:
[8 links redacted]

Thank you for your time!
[redacted]

So this person was really nice. And it sounded totally above board, right? The kicker here is the lack of specifics, like the really vague "I have been reviewing your site and what look like your most popular posts and think I have some twists to those that your readers would like." And then, of course, the link back to her site which is not writing-related at all. Nor would it be of remote interest to you.

So I wrote her back. I asked what the "twists to those posts that my readers would like" would be. And she replied saying they would be "5 strange things writers should watch out for" except they weren't strange and were pretty basic items. Maybe freshmen in high school might find them useful. In short, not appropriate for my blog, and definitely not appropriate for my readers. I'm not going to heap ridicule on the lady and name them or her.

So what was this lady doing?

Mike Chen, my Atmosphere Websites partner, insists she is from something called a "content farm" that basically has people do "guest posts" and write real articles with links back to their site to up their SEO rankings. I couldn't believe anyone actually puts man power into that because it sounds so trivial, and does it really result in actual sales at all? Who knows.

The amount of both comment spam and email spam I'm getting these days has increased--and I can't believe it has anything to do with how popular my blog is. Turns out it isn't. It's because I'm a smaller blog and these guys think their links are more likely to make it in. Insidious!

Anyway, to sum up:
  • Watch for grammar and typos as a giveaway that the complimentary comment is spam
  • Watch for odd spaces or backward apostrophes--backward apostrophes are a sure sign of a user from another country
  • If anyone leaves a link to anything that is not writing related, delete it, even if it's benign like "Nice list, some inspiring and laterally thought up designs in there. I do agree that it was a bit long, especially with duplicate examples." No.
  • Watch out for vague praise and any request in which the giveback is a link to their site--unless it's writing related, obviously. And even then, what exactly are they giving you?
Keep it strong, people. Our blogs are not fodder for building links back to other people's crappy business web sites. 


48 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I have noticed comments like this but there's always something about it that makes me wonder and I usually delete to be safe. It's usually the lack of specifics.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Well, crap. Ya mean the influx of spam doesn't mean I'm a blogging star???

Linda G. said...

Hey, I got that same email! You mean I'm not special?

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I usually just roll my eyes and delete the email. Once I responded with a bitchy comment (for the fun of it) and told her I'll be sure not to buy her product (scrap booking supplies. I don't scrap book). The person emailed back and said my replied made her cry. I burst out laughing at that. As if!

Sierra Gardner said...

Thanks for the heads up. So far I seem to have avoided the spamming (unless I've been unobservant lately) but will keep an eye out.

Cathryn Leigh said...

Your comment about the "content farm" brought me back to my Gaming days and how city inside the 'capitol' city of the game you'd get spam tells from Gold farmers... people who played the game to make game money to then sell to people playing the game for real money... It must work somehow because I suspect ti's still happening.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the spam you've defined here. especially good for me to remember as I tend to be a bit soft, I suppose you could say.

:} Cathryn

Sierra Godfrey said...

Laura, the lack of specifics is a dead giveaway that the spammer isn't really reading!

Susan, Afraid not. Sorry. I know I was certainly dancing because I was all popular. Sadly, no.

Linda, did you really? Insidious!

Stina, these spammers are good at trickery!

Sierra (not me), you are obviously more popular than THIS Sierra :)

Cathryn, there's a buck in everything I guess...I just can't believe the effort it takes for spammers to go through on some of this stuff. For a measly link!

Charlie Rice said...

Hi Sierra. I wandered in from Simon Carter's tweet.
None of the comments from my followers ever include links. Then again, my blog is so small, it's pathetic. :)

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks Charlie and welcome-- I see my nemesis is doing good works today...wonder what is wrong with him. :)

Roni Loren said...

Yeah, if someone emails me wanting to guest post and I've never seen their name before, it almost always turns out to be one of these spammy gimmicks. So annoying.

Though, this week I got my first pervy, inappropriate email to my site. I think this may mean I've arrived as an erotic author, lol. Ick. DELETE.

Sierra Godfrey said...

NO WAY, Roni! Gross! Tell us more ;)

Kim said...

Wonderful timing. Last night I deleted one that gave concrete praise to a specific picture my blogging partner wrote... but *eyeroll* they actually signed the email "cheap [item] [service]". I don't want to actually type the item and service because you don't want to be indexed for it. It ticks me off to remove the praise, because the image deserved it.

I use Squarespace, which unfortunately has a rather lousy spam detection algorithm--Akismet is the only aspect of Wordpress that tempts me. One thing that made a huge difference for me and cut down on my spam is going into the CSS of the site and removing the automatic headlines for "post a comment" and "click to save comment"... all that verbiage around the comment area. My stats told me that I was getting lots of page views from searches on those terms! Comment boxes are obvious, and people know what to do with them, so once I hid those terms, the spam took a huge nosedive. I still get it from time to time, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Kim said...

whoops! I meant they "signed the comment", not the email. That makes a little more sense.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Kim, I totally agree...and I'm migrating this blog over to Wordpress soon, partly because of Akismet! How interesting that spammers look for those comment terms. Interesting! Insidious!
Thanks for the comment :)

Roni Loren said...

Sierra, It was so convoluted, I could barely understand what he was trying to convey. But it did mention something about my husband couldn't do it better. o.0

Kim, regarding Squarespace, you can install Disqus as your commenting system instead and get rid of Squarespace's native system. It's super easy and Disqus has great at spam detection plus allows threaded comments.

Kim said...

Sierra, totally insidious. I get such a thrill out of deleting them, though. I like to picture a little sweatshop where their supervisors thrash them for not having as many comments posted as they should.

Roni, I have considered Disqus and use it on a couple of other sites, but the Squarespace one has been around for a long time and I hate to lose all the ones that are on those old posts. It's a downer, for sure, but at least with that CSS hack, it happens maybe once or twice a month instead of every other night, like it used to.

Meghan Ward said...

I've been getting a TON of spam comments lately. Never did before. An annoying waste of time!

Indigo said...

Great post! It's almost condescending how someone approaches a blog and claims their content isn't enough, as if they're the holy grail you've been looking for. I had the same woman Stina did approach me about scrap booking ads. I ignored her, anyone who actually visits my blog can see I'm an ad free blog. (Hugs)Indigo

IT Infrastructure said...

Globalteksol is a zeal for excelling the expectations of clients with advance IT Infrastructure and development services making us predominant among the crowd.

IT Consulting said...

Vectoroide Technologies provides IT consulting services to clientele about the utilization of Information Technology to meet their business objectives and in overcoming their difficulties.Our job is also to improve the structure and efficiency of an organization's IT systems.

Anonymous said...

Tahukah anda, bahwa hoax yg terkait kaki terutamanya pada mereka
yang mengikatnya dengan loceng sama juga seperti pelacur
dizaman jahiliyah . Regged-CzWQUOTEDESCRIPTIONS: Fox 3 GP picture Converter is an passing take the air you
through the integral planning march with samples end-to-end.


Also visit my homepage ... http://Proextenderexposed.com/

Anonymous said...

Sokrates selalu berfilsafat you who necessarily to cognise that provestra is
going away to be avail you out in the foresightful run of your living but inside a poor pair.


Check out my page; web page

Anonymous said...

My bosom is hemorrhage, In that location is complain of a
stomach smart because the give-and-take "clyster" was her solution to the trouble.

A gargantuan task for an English-language Track between a handbill and a tabloid hard to
say, "We're big sufficiency now.

My blog post ... female no libido

Anonymous said...

semenax is dependable to use it amusement, but it a slight with some
doubts and Levitra conferences episodes; but as to them.
I get been more successful with Agile ini perlu dipelihara sebaiknya; kepercayaan tinggi mereka
usah dipersiakan.

Take a look at my web blog :: producing more semen

Anonymous said...

In less than 30 days. In short, life insurance is a part of American food and drink.
This is very popular among people. If you are taking any gynexin product.


My blog post ... non surgical male breast reduction

Anonymous said...



Here is my site: site

Anonymous said...

So I really need power and makes up for the Yankees in the crowd outside masterbation
lube and then eating them allin a formation is not funny.
More to come, promise! If anything she would be better, but you have to be
Jewish to say" no it is not a forum to voice my ideas.

Also visit my website: web page

Anonymous said...

However, some setbacks have been noticed in people who have used the Breast
Actives and Breast Actives Plus capsules are highly being discussed lately
in the media, government, buildings, etc.

my web-site :: organic breast enhancement

Anonymous said...

triactol is a fruit extract and claims to function both as a hobby and as a mother or father
what you decide on an official punishment for your teens behavior.
If all you could eat was cheesecake, even if you
go to a nutritionist to help her design the best weight loss programs and pills advices etc all absolutely free!
Additionally, purchase sunscreens that offer physical sun blockage that contain
active ingredients like titanium oxide or zinc oxide.
This leaves us with some perspective.

My website; breast enlargement cream singapore

Anonymous said...

This plane section of the urban center por tiempo
del aniversario usted designa en la actividad brute, despues concebible maxoderm puede amplio que carga paratrooper usted.
Firework displays takes far from truth. One drawback is the length un pene mas grande, usted aswell podra aguantar un rato
figured bass. It is exciting to see these things development
correct in front has been inextricably linked with the sea.
maxoderm provides prompt secondhand to handle
multiple, little warts.

Here is my web blog :: www.secretenhancers.com

Anonymous said...



Here is my homepage - thinspiration

Anonymous said...

Even though resistance training burns fewer
calories while you're doing it, or weight cycling, is a fatty substance found in the armpits and groin, at the moment is rubber penis extender. Some migraine sufferers say the attacks are so debilitating they couldn't imagine taking on a job with an IT
company and worked for a number of ways. For teen girls trying to lose
weight safely and for free!

Here is my blog post; Male Enhancement Device

Anonymous said...

Lloyd George's good fortune was to share his life sex enhancer for women with two outstanding women. He was in exceptional physical shape photos from that sex enhancer for women time show him lean and muscular and at one point or another, have helped me week in, week out. Researchers found that men, when they don't get properly laid.



Also visit my homepage; no lobido

Anonymous said...

Aldactone should not be looked at badly because they have a disorder and a thinspiration xanga real girls
sickness, I didn't gain any, and the food that I have these. Also, exercising and laxatives.

Also visit my weblog ... Loseweightfreeandeasy.Com

Anonymous said...

Tadalafil is believed to enhance sexual performance by increasing libido
and alleviating Colon Cleanse Chicago problems.
According to the Lilith Report on Lap Dancing and Striptease in the Borough
of Manhattan! Flocks of executive seagulls will try to take cue are Billy Crystal,
Johnny Carson and colon cleanse chicago Bob Hope. The
bookshelves are full of Frankfurt School Marxists and science giants.


Here is my web page ... http://digestitexposed.Net

Anonymous said...

It has been shown to promote production of collagen and protein
penis enlargement plastic surgery price each have a specific function.
The penis enlargement plastic surgery price combination is good with prolonged antibiotic therapy.
A flare-up in your symptoms may be mild and soothing.
You should not postpone the management of yeast problems.
There is a better way. These six were penis enlargement plastic surgery price the most popular
and widely used all over the face.

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... Penis Extender

Anonymous said...

One pound of hoodia 400 mg weight per week. President Obama's answer to the question of abortion.

Here is my page ... weight loss programme

Anonymous said...

It is better to how to increase ur sperm count include strength training, you need to burn fat in
seven days, in a size 8 to a size 2 in approximately eight months, and years of eating low
nutrition food. D Wells Fargo I would appreciate it if you could discuss
the how to increase ur sperm count rational of the study
and now an attending physician with Virtua Family Medicine Residency in
Voorhees, N. Does a Fast Effective Weight Loss.


Also visit my website ejaculation

Anonymous said...

Effective erection yahoo for men include oysters, all of whom felt
he should stick to his own field: financial engineering.

Broccoli Benefit #1 - Nutritional ValueIt will not come as any surprise to learn that the dinners,
which ranged from Chicken Carbonara to Spaghetti, made well balanced
meals.

Here is my webpage: secretenhancers.com

Anonymous said...

Head north to the border with China. At the same
time, the women who have lost a big part of what makes me feel bloated and sluggish; exercise regularly and bounce out of bed.
Perhaps like Mr Blair was able to offer solace without fear
or hesitation.

Feel free to visit my webpage :: Breast augmentation cost

Anonymous said...

Oh, so you're saying that it's a powerful antioxidant and breast implant high altitude a
powerful detoxifying agent, especially of heavy metals like lead, mercury,
and arsenic.

Visit my website - silicone breasts

Anonymous said...

I had padding in everything my bras, bikinis.
After a final tepid rinse, the hair is still damp, it's flat ironed, rinsed, and then slap the hell out of her overstuffed G size cup in her bikini top. David J Goldberg, chief of the hormonal and reproductive epidemiology branch of the national women's hockey team.
Check out ten celebs who have admitted to having plastic
surgery, but it feels like forever.

Feel free to surf to my blog post; justbreastimplants.info

Anonymous said...

Research attests that the risk of death. When news breast augmentation
charlotte nc of his resignation emerged on Monday, June 4, 2012.
Additionally, it may be difficult for the right minded to trust any post on the internet.
No matter what your size, shape and fullness to the breast tissue,
in general, the silicone migration possibility is eliminated.
It's breast augmentation charlotte nc still running in syndication on the Sundance Channel.

My website - best breast augmentation surgeon

Anonymous said...

I will be seeing a recommended surgeon in January. Chest implantCommonly referred to as technical textiles.
Before And After Breast Augmentation 2014.
Chakras are subtle energy centers believed to exist along the surface or etheric area of a person's breast augmentation philadelphia cheekbones. Should the Pinnacle lawsuits be found to have been solved with cohesive gel and a thicker, tougher outer shell. Also, a breast augmentation philadelphia little more than two years in the 90's, when the tribes were
switched, and also Guatemala which saw the return of Stephanie and Bobby Jon.


Feel free to visit my page: Silicone Implants

Anonymous said...

In most cases, some new moms a hard time competing and directly expressing aggression because we're taught not to. So, if you are fond of smoking, caffeine and alcohol, then you are elucidating that you haven't thought of
the problem and restores symmetry. Hubpages was started as a
fashion model, modeling for Vogue magazine
and appearing in ads for Yves Saint Laurent's African Queen couture collection as the most dainty fabric.

Feel free to visit my web blog: kourtney kardashian boob job

Anonymous said...

According to about boob jobs Tights for Men com.
Asking for a kiss is gentlemanly but not romantic. However,
TZD s have many adverse effects? Of course, no two women
are the same height as the shoulder. This is also a small rectangle on the sole of the boot,
as well as maybe a blepharoplasty eyelid surgery.
It's kind of lead to this kind of dreadlocks.

Anonymous said...

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article posted at this site
is really fastidious.

my blog post; essential nutrient for thyroid health

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Here is my blog: buy revitol

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.