Monday, February 27, 2012

The Past 15

Last week, I was listening to a morning radio show in the Bay Area that I've listened to for years, and they announced that it was their 15 year anniversary of being on the air. I couldn't believe it. I remember their very first show 15 years ago, and have been listening ever since. (They're pretty good.)

I started thinking about what else has remained with me over 15 years. Beloved books, songs, etc. Mr. Sierra and I were talking about the timeless quality of U2--especially their early stuff and Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I thought of all the Maeve Binchy books I've read and re-read over the years. These kinds of things are what punctuate life, carrying us through good times and bad.

I hope I get to publish books that do this for people.

What has carried YOU through the past 15 years? Certainly certain bands, or books, or even TV shows qualify.

3 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

The Paul & Al show in Providence has been on the air for almost 25 years I think. A rock and roll venue and they're really good. Very snarky. Haven Bros. hot dog stand has been in downtown Providence near the bus terminal for evah. I think my constants have always been music and food.

Meghan Ward said...

Sadly, I'm coming up on the fifteenth anniversary of my mother's death in a couple of weeks, so that's my most vivid memory of where I was fifteen years ago. I started UCLA that year, I read Gravity's Rainbow that year, I ordered my first book on Amazon that year. What's freaky, though, is when I think about how long I've known some of my friends. Friends that were new and exciting at the time are now people I've known for 20+ years. Yikes! Time keeps marching on.

Cathryn Leigh said...

OMG Paul & Al... I remember them from when I lived in Providence! *grins*

Hm... 15 years ago was 1997... I'd been with my bf for about a year. We're now happily married with two kids so I'm counting him! We moved around a lot during those years from Mass to Providence to SF and now Maryland, so not much else has been for me.

:} Cathryn

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.