Monday, May 21, 2012

At Kew Gardens with the Queen

I never do this, but I have these awesome pictures I want to share with you. They were the basis of a scene I wrote in my completed manuscript. The scene involves two my characters visiting Kew Gardens in London. On the day of their visit, they see the Queen, who is there to "plant" a tree. (A tree is not planted unless she has flicked dirt in its direction.)

My mother was there a few years ago-- she goes to London a lot, and almost always visits Kew Gardens when she does. The Queen was planting there that day, and my mom took the following photos. In my novel, the Queen is wearing the same clothes as in these pictures. These photos all form the basis of my scene.

Impeccably dressed and ready to flick!

There's Prince Phillip here, too, in the red tie. "The air smells quite well out here," he might be saying.
The entourage was quite small, I thought. Shouldn't there be secret service planted in the trees or something?

My characters fall into a heap of giggles behind this bush.





3 comments:

Steven J. Wangsness said...

Cool. That's great how you took a scene out of real life and put it through the Godfrey Translator and inserted it into your book. I'd love to try that sometime.

Sierra Godfrey said...

Thanks Steven (still have a difficult time writing that instead of Travs). I'm sure there exists a Wangsness Translator, and if you haven't found one, then try looking for a Travener Translator, which rolls off the tongue better and has a little snark included, too. Which is what you want, really, when taking pictures and making scenes from them.

Cathryn Leigh said...

he he... this reminds me of a story my friend told me. Her father is in the brittish Military and apparently he sat down in the mess hall across from one of the Princes (sorry my Americanism is getting in the way of remembering which one) and didn't say hi, just kept talking with his friend.

And I know exactly how I can translate that into part of my trilogy... *grins*

:} Cathryn

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.