Monday, December 31, 2012

10 Things About Sierra and 2012

I love doing my annual year-end posts. That's because I've done them for three years now and it's really fun reading over the past years. Here's 2009, 2010, and 2011 if you're interested (and because they're all about me, why wouldn't you be? I mean, I totally am.)

P.S. If you're looking for the final Superstastic Winter Writing Challenge wrap up post, check back here tomorrow.

1. I found a happy medium in my diet and shed 15 pounds.
One day last summer my friend and I and our kids were at the community pool. A woman walked by wearing bikini bottoms and a halter top bathing suit. She looked fabulous, with a pert, perfect butt. I said, "Even if I worked hard and trained all summer, I'd never have an ass that size." My friend suggested we join Weight Watchers online together. (In retrospect, was she calling me fat??) I agreed mainly as a lark to see if it worked.

It didn't.

I found the points thing rather unbalanced for actual nutrition  That is, they heavily penalize you for eating a handful of almonds, but I found that my body thrives on the nutrients and healthy oils in almonds. I don't eat 50 million of them, but I do eat more then then paltry 5 you're allotted by the WW fascists. They also say brown rice is as bad as white rice--same point penalty. That makes no sense. So I should just eat sugary starch then? Worst of all, when I went to cancel my account, they charged me the full month even though I cancelled 2 days into the month. When I complained, they said "tough toenails." I remarked that this policy was very bad marketing and quite bad customer service. Their whole business is based on people failing diets and then returning to WW in shame, and now I wouldn't be returning, I'd direct my shame elsewhere. They didn't care. This is too bad for Weight Watchers since treating people badly doesn't induce them to return. Ah well. Not my problem.

Where were we. Anyway, then I read This is Why You're Fat by Jackie Warner. Because I wanted to understand what was going on in my body. The book is great--it helps you understand why and what happens. And I started eating right. In particular I stopped allowing sugar to be my main food group. Et voila, fifteen pounds. (Oh fine, I walked too and I ate right. But the sugar was the main thing.) I have some work to do from my holiday sugar binge, but I'm all right.

The old girl in better times. :(
2. I lost a cat. 
My cat Ally passed away in February (or March...oh it's all a blur) at age 17. I'm not sure what she died of, but she probably had multiple problems and when something went wrong (namely, she started puking one day and couldn't stop), her body starting shutting down. She died at home with me. I would say peacefully but it wasn't really. She suffered all day, and was scared and upset. This was better than being furious and insane in the car and the vet's office, however. And my other cat wanted nothing to do with her, treating her as though she were a pariah who would spread a death virus if he got too close to her. And I had to bury her in the rain and her stiff body toppled into the hole in an ungainly and unseemly fashion...it was all awful. Just awful. But the main thing here is that I had her for a really long time--all my early adulthood. And although I found her really annoying at times, she was with me through good and bad. So she gets a spot on my list. Poor Al. In a house full of boys (even our remaining cat is a boy), she and I were the only girls.

3. My most listened-to song of the year was...
'Blue Skies' (Unquote remix) by Blu Mar Ten. If I heard this song every day for the rest of my life I'd be a happy girl. Every time I hear it, I fall in love, then I feel soul-searing pain and loss, and I emerge hopeful and alive. That's a rather tall order for a song, don't you think? Have a listen. I'm listening right now as I type this! When it's finished I'll replay it. 

4. I have a baby who sleeps.
Can you believe this? All year, he didn't sleep. Six months ago, here's what I put on Facebook:

BABY FOR SALE

Pros:
  • is fourteen months today
  • thinks dogs make the world go round 
  • fat and juicy
  • says "moo" and "hisss" fetchingly
Cons:
  • screams all night long-- last night most of the night
  • has massive molar coming in that makes him--and everyone else--unhappy
  • has a really ugly scream when it reaches hysterical levels (frequently at night)
  • does not travel well
But! In the nick of time, sliding in right before the year is out, he is finally sleeping. Not always, and not entirely consistently, but no more waking 3-4 times at night. No more screaming like a banshee! The funny thing is, a mere two weeks ago I posted this out of sheer despair describing him scream and my accompanying pain. 

But we've really come a long way since then. I've taught him to put himself to sleep and he's learning well.
So. So! Heaven. 

5. I was on TV. 
It was a show on HGTV, I don't want to say which one in case adoring fans start clamoring for autographs and the like, you know that can get dreadfully tiring darling. We actually filmed in 2011, but the show went on hiatus and we were on their new season, which they didn't air until April 2012. It was fun. The glamorous hosts were exactly the same off camera as they were on, which is to say, fun and sweet. (The main host was actually a bit of a diva, but nice when you spoke with him.) When we filmed the show, Rainbow Puppy (now 20 months) was a month old, and I wore the only shirt that fit me and didn't look like a shapeless bag. I also had Rainbow Puppy in the baby carrier. I didn't realize until later that I was bouncing him up and down like a lotto ball non stop in all my scenes. (I totally just said scenes as though I filmed a movie. Where's my SAG card?!) I was sure I made awful TV--who wants to watch a constantly bouncing lady, you'd get a seizure. When it aired, Mr. Sierra and I sat and watched, cringing, but even though I'd my own worst critic, it wasn't so bad. It really wasn't! And our house has noticeably improved as a result of being on the show. Win-win.

6. I was reminded that despite blogging pretty heavily for about five years, I still have no clue what works. I tried different things this year: I tried to start a blogfest (no one participated), I tried not to post very frequently (no one cared), I tried to post pedantic writing posts (retweets were high and blog stats showed these got a lot of traffic, but no one commented, How to Write a Great Climactic Scene was a huge hit getter), and I tried being more personal and less writingish (no one commented and blog stats were low, although these posts - "5 Things I like" are some of my favorites). So I still don't know.

7. I wrote, revised, revised more, queried. I slaved over my query letter to death (let's just say I owe Janice Hardy and Kristen Lippert-Martin a kidney each; please don't simultaneously collect), and then pushed my baby out into the world. I got traction but not the winning kind. I pulled it back, had a long, long talk with myself and then did what I wanted with the manuscript, not what I thought everyone else wanted. The result? Something that works. Really, really works. There's a lesson in all this. When I discover it, I'll let you know.

8. I worked a LOT. 
This was the year of slaving away on my freelance graphic design and technical writing business. The previous year I worked hard too, but I'd had Rainbow Puppy, and that event kind of dominated everything else. This year, I worked hard and designed a ton of websites, met wonderful clients (like the lovely Lorrie Thomson), and learned lots of lessons, some of them painful--like the one where you think you and the client have discussed what they want only to find they don't want that at all, and there was nothing you could do about it. Or you could, but they didn't want to deal with you. Anyway, I am so lucky to be able to do what I do. So lucky that it earns a solid place on this list.

9. I came to terms with my family's political preferences.
As we all know, this year was a huge election year and my, how divisive it was. One of the biggest shockers was discovering that most of my paternal family are Republicans, including my dear dad and my closest cousin. No offense to anyone, but I believe so strongly in compassion for all, and other basic female reproductive rights, and loads of other things that I think make our society better, and that they don't support those things does my head in a bit. I wondered, who are these people? But I had to realize that Republicans are like everyone else -- they're even loved ones I've known my entire life -- and they probably don't think their views are odious. They probably feel the same way about me in reverse. So you have to let these things go. Or just stop thinking about them in connection to the person. And be thankful that it doesn't actually matter how they voted, because California was never going to be a Republican state in the vote count anyway because I love them.

10. I realized how happy I am.
I had a hard time thinking of major things that happened to me this year. I stewed in the lameness of this for a few days until I realized it was a more subtle year full of many small joys, excepting the not sleeping part. This year my baby learned to walk, talk, and turn one. He grew into a little person. Quite a difference from where we were this time last year. I also watched my six year old son grow into a little adult, bounding into a whole new world of reading and writing and psychologically out-maneuvering his mother, and shouting "Booyackasha" at every opportunity. I read a ton, and I played lots of games. I worked a lot (see number 9 above) and I walked a lot. And I felt comfortable with my goals and where I am with them, even if that means I'm still working on them.

Happy 2013 guys and thanks for reading my slaver.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.