Monday, December 17, 2012

What I Read This Year

December means doing all my year-end wrap up posts, which is a lot of fun if you've been blogging for several years. It means I get to re-read older posts from years past and see how far I've come...or not come, since some of what I've written makes me go "ha ha ha! God she's funny! Oh wait, that's me." How much of a sad sap must I be if my younger self amuses my older, clearly boring self? Not to mention how narcissistic it is to think yourself funny. Well, I've always been a fan of my own humor, which is nice when no one else is. (I'm an only child. You have to be your biggest fan when you're an only child.)

Anyway, each year in December I go into my Goodreads account and see how many books I've read and what they were. Last year, I read 26 books. In 2010 I read 25 books. This year, I've read 33 books! Whoo hoo! Here's what I read. As you can see, I was the queen of reading multiple books by the same author this year. Well, hey. I found some damn good authors. Liza Palmer and Anna Maxted reign as my most favorites ever. I liked Canadian author Catherine McKenzie a lot, and I discovered and enjoyed Susanna Kearsley quite a bit, who specializes in a nice combo of paranormal and women's fic.

I also read a ton of what is classfied as chick lit--and I enjoyed every bit of it. It was smart, hilarious, and so far removed from the chick lit of old featuring heels and NYC. Today's chick lit is smart and clever.

And I'm buying it.

  • Running in Heels by Anna Maxted
  • The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
  • The Good Woman by Jane Porter
  • Forgotten by Catherine McKenzie
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins 
  • How Lucky You Are Lewis by Kristyn Kusek
  •  Being Committed by Anna Maxted 
  • Arranged by Catherine McKenzie
  • Conversations With the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer
  • The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant
  • A Field Guide to Burying Your Parents by Liza Palmer 
  • Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness
  •  A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness 
  • Behaving Like Adults by Anna Maxted
  • Spring Fever by Mary Kay Andrews
  • The Newlyweds by Nell Freudenberger 
  • The Uninvited Guests Jones, Sadie
  • Getting Over It Maxted, Anna
  • The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley 
  •  Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
  •  Seeing Me Naked by Liza Palmer
  • More Like Her by Liza Palmer
  • These Girls by Sarah Pekkanen
  • The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley 
  • Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
  • Crash Into You (Loving On The Edge, #1) by Roni Loren
  • Homecoming by Cathy Kelly
  • 11/22/63 by Stephen King
  • Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris
  • Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris
  • Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris
  •  Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris
  • The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd
So, what did YOU read this year that you loved?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good day! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using
for this site? I'm getting tired of Wordpress because I've had problems
with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

Feel free to visit my web blog; stress positions

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.