Monday, February 25, 2013

An Oscar Tale of Woe...and Sunshine!

Mr. Sierra, long before falling for my wiles and letting romance claim us, used to have a girlfriend (whom we sort of still know and I sincerely hope she doesn't find this blog, please God no) who loved watching the Oscars. Loved. Lived for it. Sort of. Watched them heartily at any rate.

So to annoy Mr. Sierra, I feigned great interest in last night's Oscars. But the truth is, I love them too. I love looking at all the dresses and the love and the hotness and the gorgeousness and the diamonds. I love the people and the movies and scrutinizing each actor or actress to see if they are likeable as real people or not. Just love it. I love deciding which dress I would pick were I them. (Jennifer Aniston's red ball gown was my favorite right next to Jennifer Lawrence's pink ball grown, both are poofy confections that work for me. And say what you want about Jennifer Aniston, but I think she would be great to have over for Sunday dinner and coffee. She would laugh and tell jokes and be very friendly. When my friends hear this, they scoff. "Oh no!" they say. "Jennifer Aniston? No way! I'd pick ..." and then they list a ton of other people, none of whom are Jennifer Aniston. But I stand by it. She'd be a great friend and dinner guest and I feel she'd bring good wine and very tasty cupcakes with her. So there.)

Anyway, imagine my HORROR and SHOCK when my BLASTED DVR stopped recording the Oscars at the commercial break right before Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Director. Yes--it failed to record the whole program and instead stopped at the default two hours, and it didn't even ask me if I wanted to add extra time since it was a live recording. Imagine. If you can't, I will tell you. I was livid. I sat through two hours of crap, of Seth McFarlane laughing at his own jokes (don't do it man, you need to deadpan those jokes), only to be CUT OFF right before the stuff that matters. Yes! I missed Jennifer Lawrence's stumble! Yes! I missed the upset of Argo over Lincoln! Yes--I had to resort to my local news website to get the winners.

 I was so annoyed that I went and cleaned out the cat litter box. You know it's bad if I have to do that. There was a silver lining in this playbook, however. Mr. Sierra came and said, "I have a surprise for you."

Now, you're hoping it was recovered DVR footage of the missed Oscars. No. It wasn't. It was Fox Soccer Plus showing the entire game of a Scottish Premier League game and not just a paltry Celtic v Motherwell match, either. It was Hibs! Hibs v Dundee! Oh glorious!

You don't understand, I can tell. You think I'm crazy. But I'm a long time supporter of Edinburgh-based Hibernian FC and up until recently, it was nigh impossible to watch a Hibs match on my television in the United States. That's right. ESPN and Fox Soccer never deemed it ratings worthy (probably because Hibs're often shite), but some kind soul has decided to broadcast all the matches. This is a wonderful thing. You have no idea. It's so hard to support a team when you never get to actually SEE their matches. There was a dodgy pay-per-view service on their website that didn't work half the time, but this, this! This was nearly enough to make up for the missed Oscars. This was really something.

Now. If you've read this far, I appreciate it. If you have a link to the video of those missed Oscar acceptance speeches--and better yet--the announcements of the winners, PLEASE leave a link. I'd be grateful. Thanks.

The lesson in all this? Obvious. Set extra time on your DVR for long live events. And regularly check Fox Soccer Plus scheduling.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whеn sоmeone wгitеѕ an pоѕt hе/she
retainѕ the рlan οf a user in hiѕ/hеr minԁ that how а usеr can κnow it.
Thus thаt's why this paragraph is outstdanding. Thanks!

Review my page Red Kings Poker Promotions

Anonymous said...

hello there and thank you for your information – I have certainly picked up
anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this website,
since I experienced to reload the web site many times previous to I could get it to load
correctly. I had been wondering if your web hosting is OK?
Not that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will
very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your high quality score if
ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email
and can look out for a lot more of your respective intriguing content.
Make sure you update this again very soon.

Also visit my web blog: Laguna Niguel short sale realtor

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.