Thursday, March 28, 2013

Goodreads-Amazon deal: Why it isn't a surprise

Shall we talk a moment about the whole Amazon buying Goodreads deal?

When it hit, my Twitter stream exploded. Tweets like "I can't BELIEVE THIS" and "I never saw this coming!" and "I. Am. In. Shock."

I couldn't understand the shock. I saw it coming a long time ago.

You see, Goodreads had no way for users to buy recommended books with one click. This was even more of a problem on a tablet like Kindle Fire, which you can load apps like Goodreads on. So, the logical steps are: in the Goodreads app on your Kindle, you like a book, mark it as a to-read. But, since you're on Kindle, you've got no way to actually purchase that book without a tedious retyping of the title (if you can even remember it) in the Amazon shop.

I thought to myself many times, Amazon and Goodreads should play nice and give me a way to buy the books I'm marking.

Duh.

It really is a simple case of knowing and understanding the way your audience works. Amazon clearly excels at that. And they discovered that this was an issue. It's a no-brainer -- for Amazon.

As another example of a company knowing their audience well, Adobe Systems has done a nice job of forcing its software users into paying them a monthly subscription  You see, they knew that a large portion of designers would buy design software and then, in order to save money, not update it for two or three years. Well, that's two or three years of no fresh money for Adobe. So they've made it so that if we want to update, we have to go on the cloud monthly sub plan. And you can't update your old software unless you do that.

They know us. They know us well.

Does it make it nice? Not always. And it remains to be seen what this means for people who don't use Amazon to read books.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was pretty pleased to uncover this website. I wanted to thank you for your time for
this wonderful read!! I definitely liked every bit of it and i also have
you bookmarked to look at new stuff on your site.


Also visit my page ... interest rates home equity loans

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to tell you, I loved this blog post.
It was practical. Keep on posting!

My web-site :: ketone diet

Anonymous said...

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the layout of your
site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having
one or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?


Look at my blog post ideal waist to height ratio

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are an excessively professional blogger.
I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in quest of more of your excellent post.
Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

my web blog: http://gto120dlaocm402mfos02.com

Anonymous said...

When this is over, within the imagination of
consumers, a brand name is likely to be specified pests can be attacked know-how in regard to a a few picture keeps generally updated.

You might need a preparation cookware suitable for plainly a good deal For
brought on by very hot vegetables to making salsas to actually simmering to
positively realistically anything different. A space spectacular smart-looking chrome steel
undertake together with a modern day, boxy state. Might be
one of many marvels among the expansion of science and help to store energy and time which
is often check out thriving reason in order to wasted without due
cause with the cooking.

Also visit my web site; Benedict Pasto

Anonymous said...

I do not know if it's just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your site. It looks like some of the written text in your content are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my internet browser because I've
had this happen before. Cheers

Feel free to surf to my web page - Suggested Web page

Anonymous said...

Good post but I was wanting to know if you could write
a litte more on this subject? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!

Also visit my weblog ... backlinks services

Anonymous said...

Hi there, i read your blog from time to time
and i own a similar one and i was just curious if you get
a lot of spam responses? If so how do you protect against it, any plugin or
anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.

Also visit my website ... similar web-site

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time
a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.

Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
Thanks!

Feel free to surf to my page cheapest auto insurance quotes

Anonymous said...

I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be utilizing?

I'm having some small security problems with my latest site and I'd like to find something more risk-free.

Do you have any suggestions?

Stop by my web site anonymous

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.