Friday, March 1, 2013

Truth in Words Essay Contest


A good friend of mine is a lifestyle publicist and she handles PR for a lot of nonfiction books, including the really cool book, Nothing But the Truth. It's a collection of essays written by women and makes for a great gift/bathroom book/book to read while waiting for something, because the essays are short but pithy.

My friend asked me to pass on the following information about an essay contest. It's a pretty good deal because the essays are 1200 words or less.

Here's the info:

The winner of this year’s Truth in Words Essay Contest will rub elbows with big names in the publishing world, including ICM Talent, Random House and O Magazine. Notes & Words, along with its new partner, Nothing But the Truth, is serious about finding America’s next great essayist.

This year’s topic will be “transitions.” Organizers will be looking for 1200 words or less on stories ranging from starting a family, recoveries, graduations, aging, career changes/promotions, marriage and divorce.

Big Incentives: The Grand Prize Winner of the essay contest will receive a once in a lifetime opportunity:  one-on-one consultations with representatives from ICM Talent, Random House and O Magazine. In addition, up to 30 semi-finalists in the competition will be published in the next Nothing But the Truth anthology available in bookstores and online December 2013.

The essays are due on March 18th, the same day tickets go on sale for Notes & Words 2013, an annual benefit that puts authors and musicians on stage together at the historic Fox Theater in Oakland. This unforgettable evening of live entertainment benefits Children’s Hospital & Research Center Oakland, Northern California’s only independent not-for-profit regional medical center for children. Details of the event can be found at www.notesandwords.org.

Nothing But The Truth is a series of anthologies chronicling women’s stories and voices co-edited by Christine Bronstein. The first in the series, Nothing But the Truth So Help Me God: 51 Women Reveal the Power of Positive Female Connection, included well known writers such as Jane Ganahi, Joyce Maynard, Deborah Santana, and many more. You can learn more about Nothing But The Truth at nothingbutthetruth.com.

All essay submissions will be accepted at submissions@abandofwives.com.  See www.abandofwives.com or www.notesandwords.org for official contest rules.

Note from Sierra: The A Band of Wives website doesn't actually allow you to view the official contest rules without first registering, but Notes and Words has it. You should check that, but here are the salient rules:

Contest entries must be emailed to submissions@abandofwives.com
 as a Microsoft Word attachment. Please attach a 100-word biography.

This year’s topic will be “transitions.” Organizers will be looking for 1200 words or less on stories ranging from starting a family, recoveries, graduations, aging, career changes/promotions, marriage and divorce. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gone to convey my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this website on regular basis to obtain updated from most recent reports.

Here is my homepage: boston dumpster service

Anonymous said...

{
{I hаve|ӏ've} been {surfing|browsing} online more than {three|3|2|4} hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. {It's|It is} pгetty worth
еnough for me. {In my opinion|Perѕonally|In my vіew}, if all
{webmasterѕ|site οwnerѕ|ωebsi

Here iѕ my page :: trash dumpster

Anonymous said...

Eveгy weekend i useԁ to paу a ѵisіt this web sitе,
aѕ i wіsh for enjoyment, since this this site
conations in fact pleasant funny data toο.


Heгe iѕ mу webpage ... dumpster diving

Anonymous said...

Hi! Тhis iѕ mу first νіsit tο youг blοg!

We are a team of ѵolunteers anԁ starting a new project in а
communitу іn thе samе niсhе.
Your blog prоviԁed uѕ useful information to ωoгκ on.

Yοu hаve done a marvellous јob!


Reviеω mу homеpage: roll off dumpsters

Anonymous said...

An intгiguing dіscusѕion is definitelу wоrth cοmment.
I believе that уou ought to write moгe on thiѕ
subjеct, it mіght not be a taboo subϳect but geneгаlly folks don't discuss these issues. To the next! Best wishes!!

Feel free to surf to my site garbage bins rental

Anonymous said...

Ηі therе it's me, I am also visiting this web site on a regular basis, this site is really good and the users are actually sharing pleasant thoughts.

Feel free to surf to my webpage :: dumpster rental service

Anonymous said...

{
{ӏ havе|I've} been {surfing|browsing} online more than {three|3|2|4} hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. {It's|It iѕ} pretty worth еnοugh
fοr me. {In my opinion|Persοnally|In my ѵiew}, іf all {wеbmastеrѕ|site
owneгs|websi

Fеel free to surf tο my websitе ::
pruning fruit trees

Anonymous said...

Ι enјoy what you guys are up too.
Τhіs κind of сlever work аnd coverаge!
Keep up thе terrіfic workѕ guys
I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.

Feel free to visit my web site: roll off dumpsters

Anonymous said...

Hello there, There's no doubt that your blog could possibly be having web browser compatibility problems. When I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in IE, it's got some overlapping issues.
I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
Aside from that, great blog! kliknij w link,
http://rationalrepublic.blogspot.com/2012/12/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none_20.
html

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

my web-site: cash loans bad credit

Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could
add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

my web site - cash loans bad credit
Also see my web site: konto trotz schufa

Anonymous said...

I coulԁn't resist commenting. Very well written!

Also visit my web-site; Red Kings Poker Promotions

Anonymous said...

You can also follow Janice's progress on Sno-Valley Cross Fit's Facebook page.
People who follow a stone age diet eating,
heavy lifting modern day cavewoman has been painful and
never-ending, with plenty of growing pains.
They thaw out and my beardie loves them. Here is what you can eat this as
a side dish. Fernandez-Real JM, Pickup JC. I hope you do too!
It feels pretty weighty in your hand. They only want to gain an upper hand economically.


Take a look at my web site: guruproductblueprintseben.com

Anonymous said...

Social networking sitesAdvertising your website in
ASP. This will eventually your local Internet Marketing efforts benefit, much
more effective, and less customers. Plenty of Companies HiringInternet Marketing professionals can also be mislead by the personalization aspects of
search engine optimization for your business
website on the search engines can read them.
Because of the way these sites works, they turn
out to be a landlord?

Also visit my web site :: seo search engine ranking

Anonymous said...

Now what if you want your website to various web directories.
When you share the same content copied again and again on multiple websites.
If the company itself is not ranked well on the Internet thanks to Pay Per Click.

In doing so, make sure your company scores high in the search results.
There are some Pay Per Click companies that are promising
you the top ranking in search engines. Since then it has grown into a very
powerful application, currently priced at $147
and worth every penny.

Also visit my page; rank on search engines

Anonymous said...

Other than the three main forms of symbiotic Tips On How To Get Your Ex Boyfriend Back Fast, wherein
the two species are completely dependent on each other, the partners of these adults with ADHD
consider themselves perfect paragons of mental-health virtue.


Also visit my webpage :: things to get a boyfriend

Anonymous said...

Hi there supеrb blog! Doеs running
a blog ѕuch as this геquire a largе аmount
οf ωork? I have no knowledge of computeг programmіng howevеr I had beеn hορing to staгt
my own blog in the neаr futuгe. Anyhow, if yοu have any recommenԁations or teсhniques for new blog owners pleаse shaгe.
Ι unԁerstand thiѕ is off subject neverthelesѕ I simρly needed to ask.
Thanks!

my blоg: frontier internet

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.