Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Love it....or list it?

If you watch HGTV then you probably know that show Love it Or List It. If you're not familiar, it's about homeowners who want to change something about their home, so they work with a designer to do that. Meanwhile, they go see new houses with a real estate agent who tries to get them to list their current home and leave. At the end of the show, they have to choose whether to love their newly renovated home, or list it and buy a new, fresh one.

I was taking a look at my blog the other night, randomly looking through old posts. Some were really cool because they captured moments when my oldest son, now six, was two or three. Some were great because I've had some really awesome guest posts on the blog. It was nice to see comments from people I've gotten to know in the blogging/writing community over the years.

But most of my posts were fairly awful.

A significant amount of posts meander or else take a decided know-it-all tone. Like, ugh. I don't even want to read them. I tried to be prescriptive, which in some cases worked, but in most others it was horrid. I guess you could say I'm in a very different place now than when I started blogging here in 2009.

My first impulse was to delete old posts that were cringe-inducing. But that would likely mean deleting most of the stuff here. Some of those posts, while bad, shows a snapshot in time. On the other than, keeping that crapola around isn't helping anything.

Eventually, I'll be migrating this blog over to my website, which I'm transferring into Wordpress but which is still HTML-based right now. It seems like a good opportunity to take the good stuff and trash the rest. I don't know. Wordpress allows you to import posts and comments from other platforms, so I could take them...or leave them. Love it....or list it?

If you have a blog that you've had for many years, how do you feel about old embarrassing posts? Do you delete any? If the way you present yourself over time has changed, what do you do with those old posts? What do you think I should do?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello!,I really like your writing very much! share we keep
up a correspondence more about your article on AOL?
I require an expert on this area to resolve my problem. Maybe that's you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

Also visit my web blog - bancuri cu tigani

Anonymous said...

Superb website you have here but I was curious if you knew of any discussion boards
that cover the same topics talked about here? I'd really love to be a part of online community where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Many thanks!

my web page ... ideal waist to height ratio

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.